Settling In

They all seemed to be on the same floor, just spread out a little bit as the hotel was very big. After all, this competition wasn't just some poxy little tournament: it was often referred to as the Olympics of youth volleyball. And so, in turn, they stayed at the hotel where many Olympic athletes would train, rest and train some more.

Tsukishima slotted their keycard into the gap and slid it across, a loud beeping noise escaping from the monitor along with the sound of the door unlocking. The boys strolled into the room, pulling their suitcases behind them, and looked around them, quite agog actually.

The room was beautiful. The walls were painted a lovely eggshell white, with some stunning Picasso-esque murals hanging on them, and the carpet was a light brown colour, and felt soft beneath their feet. There were two sliding glass doors which lead to a balcony, and beyond that balcony was the most gorgeous view of the on-site beach. Omitting a pinkish light into the room, the sun was just beginning to dip beneath the sea, illuminating the waves and casting shadows from the palm trees that stretched across the white sand.

The tranquility of this moment was interrupted by Hinata's frenzied shouts. He was running around the sizeable room wildly, pointing out every little detail. It was only when Hinata started to inspect the crisp linen atop the double bed that the boys realised something - there was a double bed, and two single beds in the room.

Kageyama and Tsukki looked at one another, and started wrestling to get to the single beds as quick as they could, shoving eachother in the sides, with Kageyama even knocking Tsukki's glasses off his head in the process. Tsukishima, sat upright on the bed with his chest puffed out and a dark grin on his face, won the battle, and before Kageyama could even think about reaching the other one, he glanced up to see Yamaguchi spread across the adjacent bed like a starfish.

His arms dropped to his sides, and with a weary face, he looked towards Hinata, who too looked back at him with a pale expression.
Groaning loudly, Kageyama started to unpack his suitcase, and the rest of the boys followed suit.

-

After dinner, the whole team headed to Ukai and Ittetsu's room, who seemed to have the biggest one in the hotel for some reason. Tsukishima looked at Kageyama with pure joy when they walked into the room and found that Ittetsu and Ukai had 5 single beds all to themselves.

They all played three games of Uno in teams, room against room, with Asahi and Daichi winning the first round, Narita and Kinoshita winning the second, and Shimizu and Yachi winning the third.

They then proceeded to watch a movie called "Diamond Tears" with Japanese subtitles on. Their innocent East Asian minds didn't connect the dots with the movie title and it's tag line -  "Love Is But An Overwhelming Destroyer". It surrounded the protagonist, Talia, falling in love with a boy called Quentin. Little did Talia know that Quentin also loved her back, but the pair were too afraid to tell eachother in fear that it would ruin their perfect friendship. By the end of the movie, it was too late, as Talia was poisoned by a jealous rival.

Nishinoya and Tanaka sobbed dramatically into each others arms, and Asahi and Daichi were also crying into their hands. Yachi wiped a tear away from her eye and smiled, even Ukai quickly swiped at his face to be rid of the tiny droplets of water clinging to his eyelids.

Kageyama looked at Hinata from the corner of his eye. He was sat across the room from him on a beanbag next to Ennoshita, with a yellow blanket wrapped around him. Hinata's eyes glistened, his tears just resting in his eyes. They remained stagnant until he blinked, and quickly wiped the stray tears away. When he was finished, the pair locked eyes and Kageyama immediately looked away and blushed slightly.

After the movie was over, Ukai shooed the boys and Yachi and Shimizu out of their room, grumbling that it was 10:30pm and that they should've been in their rooms half an hour ago. Slamming the door behind them, he raised a hand to his forehead, cursing himself for sounding exactly like his grandad.

They all said goodnight to eachother and headed into their separate rooms. Tsukishima plonked himself on his bed and quickly placed his headphones onto his head, fiddling with the cellotape wrapped around the base of the jack. He expressed how he didn't mind if the lights were left on, but that he wanted them off by 11pm. Yamaguchi sarcastically saluted to him, to which Tsukki scowled back.
"Sorry Tsukki!"

Hinata sat on the balcony, fluttering his top beneath his face to let some cold air reach it. With his other hand, he wiped away the beads of sweat accumulating on his forehead and chin and then placed it on his lap. He spent another 5 minutes outside, watching the sea lap at the sand below, and then went inside.

Kageyama looked very uncomfortable awaiting Hinata's return, and shifted positions a couple of times.

"First time sharing a bed with your boyfriend?" Tsukishima teased, moving his headphones from off his head to around his neck. Yamaguchi stared at Tsukki, not knowing where this was going to go.
"Hinata is NOT my boyfriend!" Kageyama pouted, crossing his arms like a petulant child.
"Really? Tell that to your cheeks, lover boy!"

Kageyama's cheeks had flushed a brilliant crimson colour and he quickly lifted up his hands to cover them.
"Just sh-shut up, four-eyes!!"

When Hinata came back in, he yawned dramatically and proceeded to take off his shirt to Kageyama's surprise. This must have shown on his face, as Hinata said to him,

"Oh you don't mind do you? It's really hot in here!"
"No! N-not at all uh..." but before he could finish, Hinata was already in bed, facing the other way from Kageyama.

Yamaguchi stared intensely at his wristwatch.
"3...2...1...right everyone it's 11! Lights out!" He declared, determined to impress Tsukki.

-

Kageyama couldn't sleep. He was tossing and turning and just could not get comfortable, so ended up lying on his back twiddling his thumbs. He couldn't even blame their snoring, because not one of them made a peep, besides when Yamaguchi would move and let out a slight grunt as he did so. Kageyama couldn't quite pinpoint why he couldn't sleep, but chalked it up to being halfway across the world. Jet lag, of course!

But it was when Hinata turned around onto his side facing Kageyama that he realised the actual reason. Hinata's face was close to his, his hot breath warming his cheek, and their hands were touching slightly. Kageyama stared at the ceiling awkwardly, and then slowly shifted his eyes towards Hinata's face.

God, he was even cute when he slept.