A Shock To All

The weeks crept by, with every second that passed seeming like an eternity of waiting and hoping. Painstakingly, everyone watched as Hinata grew sicker, the glow he was once adored for ever so slightly dimming.

But it wasn't completely out yet.

-

"HUH?!"

Gasps and whispers echoed within the small gym. The team were sat cross-legged on the hard wooden floor in complete and utter shock after what the coach has just announced to them.

"That's right. Honestly that's how I reacted myself when I got the call." Ukai chuckled awkwardly, his hands in the pockets of his track suit bottoms.

"You've got to be joking..." Asahi panted, looking at Suga and Daichi who were in just as much of a daze as him.

"I can't believe it!" Noya whispered, running a hand through his mess of hair and slowly standing up.

Kageyama just sat there with his eyes as wide as saucers. His heart slowly increased in speed and beads of sweat formed on his face, which he quickly wiped away with the back of his sleeve.
'Is Ukai being serious?' He thought to himself, absolutely stunned.

Just then, the door to the gym swung open, and they all spun around to see Tanaka cowering in the doorway.
"Ahaha, um, sorry I'm late guys I...uh..." He scratched his head deep in thought, cursing himself that he didn't make up an excuse before he opened the door.

But Tanaka was met with the open-mouthed faces of his teammates, he even noticed that Daichi and Ittetsu had tears forming in their eyes.

"Wait...what's happened?" Tanaka questioned, his mind instantly racing to poor Hinata.

Before he had time to react, Noya was wrapped around his neck in a tight hug like a boa constrictor closing in on its prey.
"You won't believe it Ryu!!!" He screamed down his ear, and jumped off him to shake his shoulders in excitement. A huge smile stretched across his face, and soon the whole team had joined them both.

"The Russian Volleyball Team wants to have a practice match with us here in Japan!" Suga shouted, his hands flailing in the air in pure joy.
Tanaka's shoulders hunched over and his mouth opened.
"WHAT?!"

"Yep! Apparently they are going to be in Japan from next week because of some press release thing they're doing. They watched our game on TV and wanted to have a match with us!" Ittetsu repeated this word from word from what Ukai had announced just moments before.

"Oh my gosh.." Tanaka stood there absolutely dumbfounded, whilst the rest of the team were cheering and dancing around the gym. Even Tsukishima's face was lit up, his mouth curling into a slight grin.

"And...it's not the youth volleyball team either. It's the men's volleyball team. As in, the National adults team. As in, the team that played in the Olympics!!" Noya yelled once again, somehow louder than last time.

Whilst Ukai went through the details again, including the date and whatnot, Kageyama couldn't help but think about how crushed Hinata will be. Sure, when he tells him he will act excited for the team, and he honestly will be very happy for them because that's just the person he is. But inside, he will be so upset that he can't play.
These thoughts obviously reflected onto his face, and Tsukishima placed a hand on the small of Kageyama's back to his surprise.

"Don't worry King, I have a plan."

-

"...So yeah! Next week we will be playing Russia!" Kageyama announced to Hinata, telling him every single aspect of the what was about to happen that he could remember.
Hinata's gaunt face was lit up, a genuine smile on his face.

"I can't believe it! Wow I'm so happy!" His voice had gotten a little more raspy as the weeks turned to months.

"I know, but I have just one question for Kageyama. Who do you plan to send your royal sets to on the court with Hinata out?" Tsukishima said bluntly and in a posh tone which made Hinata burst out laughing.

Kageyama had been thinking about this himself. What if he reverted back to his old ways if no one could get his sets? And in front of the Russian team no less. But he genuinely couldn't think of anyone but Hinata that could comfortably pick them up every single time.

He scowled at Tsukishima and tutted at him. While he was right, reminding him that Hinata was 'out' was unnecessary.

"That's true Tobi, I'm your only hope and look at me!" Hinata laughed, holding his arms up in the air limply and cocking his head to the side, sticking out his tongue.

"Hey stop that! And don't call me Tobi, I've told you Hinata!"

"Whatever, you know you love it." Tsukishima teased.

"Huh? I don't love him!" A blush swept across Kageyama's face.

"Mmm, I didn't say 'you love him', I said 'you love IT'..." Tsukishima grinned, honestly revelling in the fact that he caught him out.

An awkward silence ate up the atmosphere in the room, Hinata biting his lip and looking at his hands.

"Anyway...the only reason I'm here is to invite you to the game Hinata." Tsukishima sighed, putting his school bag on his shoulders and getting ready to leave them to it. He fiddled with the wires of his earphones and plugged them into his phone. Hinata had previously noticed that the wires to his earphones were looking a bit tattered, but he didn't ask why he didn't get a new pair.

"Huh?" Kageyama and Hinata said simultaneously.

"Oh sorry do you want me to make it easier to understand?" He coughed a couple of times before continuing, "Shoyo Hinata, please would you come to the volleyball game between Karasuno and Russia, good sir?"

"Uhm Tsukki, not sure if you've noticed but I'm kind of stuck here." Hinata said sarcastically, pointing towards the many tubes and wires sticking out of him. This made Kageyama's stomach drop slightly.

"Don't you worry about that." Tsukki smirked, looking them both up and down before exiting the room like a villain who was plotting some evil deed.