Protostar

5 Years Later

As he walked onto that huge centre court, the blinding lights caused his eyes to squint slightly. But as he adjusted to it, a smile appeared on his face and he waved to the crowd surrounding him.

Feeling a hand being placed on the small of his back, he looked down and locked eyes with Hoshiumi, who flashed him a cheesy grin as a sign of good luck.

Today, the Adlers were facing off with the Black Jackals, a formidable team indeed. Their members intimidated even Kageyama, and rightly so, as the familiar faces across the net from him were not ones to be messed with.

Kōtarō Bokuto was stood there with his chest puffed out, his usual catchphrase of 'hey, hey, hey' ringing from the crowd as he egged them on. Next to him stood the fearsome Atsumu Miya, looking as proud and cocky as ever, and Kageyama just managed to catch a glimpse of Sakusa taking off his mask on the sidelines.

But some reason, something felt missing. He didn't know what exactly, but there was just a strange, unnerving feeling in the pit of his stomach telling him something - or someone - was missing.

That was until Nakashima Takeru came speeding through the doors in his uniform, and stood on the court with the rest of his team. Kageyama chuckled slightly underneath his breath and curled his hands into tight fists.

-

"Can you believe our Kageyama is on the Adlers team?!" Takeda exclaimed, his voice starting to crack slightly as he turned to look at the rest of the reunited team.

"Yes, I can. Calm down specks, the game hasn't even started yet." Ukai replied, handing him a tissue in preparations, as he predicted that the small coach would be sobbing throughout the game.

Asahi and Daichi laughed loudly and Suga simply shook his head from side to side slowly with a wide smile. Tsukishima and Yamaguchi sat on the row behind the rest, looking down at the chaos unfolding in front of them.

Daichi quickly spun around on his chair and put a hand under his chin.
"So guys, when's the wedding?"

Tsukishima blushed slightly and looked down, in hopes that it would disappear. Noticing his partners obvious embarrassment, Tadashi answered for him, telling his former captain that it would be some time next Spring. Asahi looked over the moon for the pair and clapped at them genuinely, while Suga held up a thumb at them, imploring them to invite them all.

"Of course we will invite you. Honestly our social circle doesn't really expand from you guys much anyway!" Tadashi declared, chortling until Tsukishima gave him a quick jab in the ribs.

"The Volleyball League is proud to announce that the match between The Schweiden Adlers and The MSBY Black Jackals will begin momentarily. Players, please line up."

"SHUSH NOW! The game's beginning!" Suga shook Daichi's shoulder in excitement, his eyes wide and filled with light as he stared at Kageyama on that huge court. Reaching a hand up to the necklace hanging around his neck, he fiddled with the small charm on the chain and closed his eyes briefly. Squeezing Daichi's hand with the other, he said a quick prayer to whoever would listen, until the whistle blew with a screech, imploring him to open his eyes once again.

-

"Nice serve, Kageyama!" Ushijima shouted, as he made his way to the front of the court.

The Black Jackals were going to win. Kageyama knew this. They were 2 sets ahead, had a 3 point lead and were at matchpoint, so the likelihood of them pulling this back was very slim. But Kageyama had not given up yet, and didn't plan to give up any time soon.