A Bizarre Reverie

Hinata had always been fascinated with space. He never really told anybody, for fear of his team members making fun of him.

Space is infinite. No one has ever, nor will they ever, discover where space ends or begins. It is impossible. And so, to make up for the mystery of its origins and limits, Hinata believed that space made itself infinitely beautiful, so that the simple minds of humans need only look up to the sky at night to remember the splendour that lay all around them.

For Hinata, watching the incandescent stars and swirling galaxies float about his head was comforting. He felt safe in the knowledge that we too are part of this never ending sky, and that somewhere there may be someone on a planet overlooking Earth thinking the exact same thing.

On the long journey home from school after volleyball practice, he would often star-gaze as he cycled. To him, those billions of balls of gas that hung tightly in the sky were the most beautiful things imaginable. That, and sunsets and sunrises of course.

That night, as he lay comfortably in Kageyama's arms, he had a dream.

In the dream, he and Kageyama were on a grassy embankment which overlooked the whole of Tokyo. At least, he recognised it was Tokyo because they were near to the Tokyo Skytree. But what he didn't understand was why all the lights in the city were shut off. But when he looked up, he understood.

He and Kageyama lay with their shoulders touching and their eyes glued to the purple sky above. Slowly, their hands intertwined, forming one united fist.

They were happy.

But then, a strong gust of wind blew Hinata away from him. No matter how much they both struggled, the storm seemed to rip them further and further apart until suddenly, Hinata couldn't see him anymore.

He was alone. Trapped in an inky black world. The stars had disappeared. Kageyama had disappeared. And he was slowly but surely fading away.