CHAPTER 27: Numb.

The sun already bids its farewell when we reach our destination point –Port Nuvalli— a state up north approximately miles away from where I came from. After the plane landed few hours ago, a service van is already waiting for us. Wasting no time, we continued on to travel by land for few more hours.

             Hectares of Sequoia tree filled our vision as we get off the car, reaching this canopies-filled forest of the said Port. I saw Enrico concentrating as he uses his mind link. While he is so busy contacting someone, I took a step away from him and turned on my phone –missed calls coming from Lindon flashes on the screen. I inhaled first some fresh air before dialling his number. After the first ring, I heard him on the other line.

 “Hello?”

“Lindon…”

“Elerie! Where are you?!”

“Port Nuvalli.”

“What are you doing there?! Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“I’m going to finish something I should’ve long time ago,” I told him, suddenly noticing the violent thumping on the ground as the wind gushes around the towering heights of the trees. In my peripheral vision, I saw well-built male rogues now standing in front, their heads directed to the man beside me. I turn to Enrico and mouthed for him to ‘wait’.

“Who are you with? What are you doing exactly?” he continues to ask me questions, his tone already frantic.

“Don’t wait for me anymore. G-Goodbye,” I told him instead, almost a whisper.

“Elerie wai---” I cut him off, ends the call, turning my phone off. Feeling down all of a sudden, the weakening of my knees elevates.

            So before I completely face these wolves, I gathered myself and put on a stoic expression when I finally turn to them.

“Elerie, these are my men,” Enrico introduced. I just nodded at them, my face devoid of any expression.

 “We will infiltrate the pack residing here. I need half of your men to concentrate the pack members in one place. The others will go with me,” I said, looking at Enrico. He nods at me. “I want less blood for those innocent pack members –unless the situation calls for it,” I added, addressing everyone.

“Dave and the rest of you, follow her. She will give you orders when you reach the point,” Enrico commanded to the man on his right. “We’ll stick to the plan. Inform me for sudden changes,” he turns to me, I nodded at him.

            We run in separate ways –Enrico on the east, mine is west. The goal is to encircle the pack and caught them off guard. Enrico will ‘tame’ the defiant pack members and keep them in one area. I need to find Damon and the rest lies in my hand. A warning signal will be given to all once it’s time for everyone to leave.

As simple as that. The thought of their blood in my hands makes my inner animal go insane.

            The other rogues with me continue to sprint in haste –but with calculated steps— as we delve further into the deeper part of the forest. I am running ahead of them so when I caught a glimpse of the pack house, I stop in my tracks and raise my hand to signal them to halt as well. An evil, pissed-off grin formed in my lips when I saw how they manage to build a pack community within that short span of time.

That bastard already managed to make a profit out of the black book.

      I thought in disdain as I continue to scan the place. A new house bigger than the rest stands in the center. There were also several blocks of row house around it. Out here, everything is so peaceful –no one’s outside. The only visible sign that there are actually people around are the well-lighted homes and minor chatters among the members.