CHAPTER 16: Cold.

When I reach the Penthouse, I walk towards the elegant, gold-painted double door and knock.

“Come in,” said the voice from the inside. I turned the doorknob and push open it.

                Elder Vladimir stood from where he is sitting, the smile as he welcomes me perish the moment he saw my face. Well, I’m aware that my eyes were bloodshot red and my nose resembles that of ‘Rudolph the red nose reindeer’. Still, I manage to smile a bit at him then bowed my head in respect.

“Please take your seat here Elerie,” he told me. I walk my way to the seat in front of him. “First things first, are you all right? Would you like something to drink?” he asks upon settling myself, his voice sound concerned.

“No, thank you Elder,” I said as I shook my head and pulled off a tired smile.

“Well, it seems to me that something happened earlier. I mean, what happened to your eyes? They’re swollen!” upon that question, I looked up at the ceiling trying to control breaking into tears again. “I understand if you don’t want to talk about it,” he added shortly after. I shook my head in response.

“L-Lindon and I had a misunderstanding. I-it’s just so difficult,” I said, biting off my trembling lips. The tears welling up my eyes. “I really w-want to tell him the t-truth, but I can’t. So many things will be at stake. Many innocent people...” I trailed off as my shoulders begin to shake and tears rolled down my cheeks.

“Is this truth connected with what happened to your pack two years ago?” he asked me, careful with his every word. I nodded at him and wiped away the tears that marred my face.

                We stayed silent for a minute or two... immersed in our own thoughts. A deep sigh coming from Elder Vladimir directed my attention towards him.

“Elerie, dear, the main reason why I called you is because, I actually want to know your side of story with regards to the incident two years ago. But I assume that right now isn’t the best time, is it?” he asks me, sympathy written on his face.

“I’m s-sorry Elder,” I said as I stared on the floor.

“It’s alright. I truly understand...” he said as he patted my back and smiled warmly to me. “Just come to me whenever you’re ready. I’m here all ears and we’ll see what we can do about it, alright?” I nodded in relief as he didn’t coerce me to spill it all out.

“Thank you,” I pulled off of what I call a ‘drained smile’. So many things had happened today that it felt like a good sleep would be greatly appreciated by my body. It seems to me that the Elder sensed it to.

“So...” he trails off. “Will you go back in your suite or prefer to be in a spare room here?” he asks me. I contemplated for a second whether to go back in our room. But I can foresee that Lindon and I will just have an argument –part 2 for that matter— if I decided to go back.

  And that’s the last thing I needed right now...

                 I thought of as I yawn, feeling my eyes drooping already. I opted for the latter choice.

“I would really appreciate a spare room Elder Vladimir. I badly needed to take some rest,” I told him. He nodded at me in agreement.

“Well then, follow me Elerie,” he said as I walk behind him.

                We passed the living room of the penthouse, facing now a hallway consisting of five doors. We stopped at one of the rooms by the end of the hallway, and then he opened the door for me.