30. The Yule Ball

Song for this chapter ~ Photograph by Cody Fry

{if you'd like to see Calista's dress to the yule ball, i've gone ahead and posted it on my ig. my user is the same as here! enjoy :)) - claudia}

Calista's POV

During the weeks leading up to Yule Ball, my nerves were higher than ever with everything that had happened with both Cedric and Charlie. I was left at a standstill, torn between telling George about it all, or attempting my best at keeping the peace.

I was still quite upset about what Cedric had told me, but I knew telling George would only further cause something much worse. Charlie was another topic I didn't want to discuss, especially considering how differently he acted towards me weeks ago. I wouldn't even know where to start if I brought him up to George. Now was not the time to fill my mind with these thoughts, however; because tonight was meant for me to enjoy.

"I heard Cho's going with Cedric tonight," Rowan now spoke as she concentrated on using a number of spells she had learnt in order to tie all the strings that held the back of my dress up.

"Good...I'm glad he has someone to go with." Although it didn't sound like it, I was relieved to hear that he had shifted his interest in someone else. Even though he had misguided his intentions with me all along, I didn't want him to be miserable.

"You still haven't told George that he asked you, have you?" I shook my head in response, feeling the fabric tightening around my ribcage with each new spell casted my way.

"That wouldn't do anyone good," I mumbled, sucking in my breath as the strings pulled at my dress. "You know by now how he gets when he's angry. He's not...rationale." I pondered back to all the times George hadn't thought about the consequences of his actions, and how I knew I was the center of all of them.

"I get it, I do, but what Cedric did wasn't right. He lied to you— I mean, I don't understand what he was thinking. Did he think he could just sweep you off your feet and away from George?"

"I'm not saying what he did was right but...I just...I don't think he intended for things to turn out the way they did." My body jerked back slightly at one of the strings being pulled taught at the wave of Rowan's wand. "Ow!"

"Sorry...almost done," she mumbled under her breath as she began finishing up.

"I think he said things he didn't mean because he was upset in the moment...I mean, besides all the feelings he had towards me...I find it hard to believe he didn't care about our friendship." Rowan now gave me a defeated look and sighed as she finally lowered her wand.

"All done."

I turned around to face the mirror— to the best of my ability, seeing as I was left practically immobile from the waist up from how tight it was, and inspected myself.

I instantly took notice to how my breasts stuck out much more than when I had first tried it on; although I wasn't surprised seeing how tight she had made it. I had no complaints though— wearing something this revealing only made me more excited for George's reaction and besides, the flowing lower half of the dress made up for it in modesty.

"I'll tell him about it eventually, just not tonight...I want to enjoy it," I finally spoke up, continuing to gaze at my reflection in the mirror. Although rather simple, the makeup I had applied enhanced my soft features, and my hair, which I allowed Rowan to use her magic on, fell well past my shoulders in dark, soft curls. "Anyways, thanks for making me look more than decent."

"Of course," she smiled back at my reflection. "Well, we should head down now before both their patience runs thin," she spoke, lifting the train of her crimson dress and proceeding to head to the door of our room. "Coming?"