Chapter 3: High Noon

*Edited*

The sun rose brightly over the horizon the very next day, signalling the dawn of a promising new day. The morning passed by quickly as Grace started on her chores of cleaning and the mixing of medicines, and before she knew it the sun had hit high noon. Grace did not see the need for her warm cloak as it was a warm and beautiful day, also believing she would not be too long away.

" Mother," Grace smile as she walked over to her mother. "I will be back soon, I have some business I must attend too." Finishing off and kissing her mother's forehead as she lay in her bed, a old torn blanket stretched over her small thin frame. Her mother smiled a loving smile as she watched her daughter walk towards the door.

" Be safe, my child." She let out a soft whispered to her daughter as she closed the door. Grace had put on her sky blue dress, not to far from the colour of her eyes, made from a silk of lesser quality but fair for this occasion. It was pulled tight in around her waist and up to her bust to form a straight line across her neck with a white lining border. The sleeves hugged tightly to her arms always the way down and hooked her over thumbs.

After her waist the dress hung loosely down with a slight puff out but not further than the width of her shoulders. Her dark brown boots hit the forest ground softly with a light crunch as she held her dress up, so that she would not tread on it. Her red hair was pulled back at either side of her head and linked at the back in two thin plaits merging into one. The rest of her hair hung loosely over her back in gentle waves from her larger plaits the night before.

" This is ludicrous, I should not be doing this. He is John Bellstone!" Grace argued with herself quietly as she walked towards the Cliff of Gully, where she was alright due to meet him.

" But I have to go." Grace said stopping in her tracks for a few moments, as if to second guess her motives before continuing on again. She weaved herself gracefully through the familiar trees and over fallen ones as well. It did not take Grace much longer until the cliff top came into her view. And true to his word, John sat the rock next to the edge; the very rock she had hid behind and used as protection the day before.

Grace felt her heart jump into her throat, she began to second guess meeting him as she hid herself quietly behind a tree and looked out at him. John was dressed in a dark green fishtailed coat with two gold buttons, his long black curly hair hanging down over the back of his neck. John sighed and reached into his pocket, pulling out a golden pocket watch before standing to his feet.

 The time was now 20 past the hour and he decided he would head home. Soothing out his clothes he picked up his cane before turning to walk back toward the forest. He was quickly stopped by Grace walking out from behind the tree she was taking cover from. Her eye where on the floor not daring to look up at the man as she felt shame from her second guessing.

" I ask for your pardon from my lateness. I had to care for my mother and I do not own a timepiece." Grace asked him in a quiet whisper as John chuckled deeply as he continued to walk over to her small frame.

" Do not worry, Grace. You have nothing to apologise for." He smiled softly to her as he stopped just in front of her, his eyes looked at her completely. He then realised just how small she really was compared to him: with at least a head difference in height. John reached out and placed his thumb and index finger on her chin to bring her face and eyes to look up at him.

" Thank you." Grace whispered to him as he slowly released her chin, instantly missing the feeling that her soft pale skin gave him. Grace felt an instant cold rush over her as his touch disconnected from her chin, secretively she longned for his touch again; something she would never admit too. John put up his arm out for Grace to link her own in, and at first she hesitated but delicately and slowly slipped her arm through his. John smiled weakly and lead her back down the cliff and towards the forest. They looped gracefully around the trees gently arm in arm.