Chapter 9: Cries

*Edited*

Today was the day; the day in which John had made his decision that he would ask for Grace's hand in marriage. He shook with unfamiliar nerves as he stood upon the cliff of Gully where they always met at high noon. Only two weeks have past since the start of their courtship and if anything; John has fallen deeper in love with red haired angel. His hand in his pocket fumbling the the small box within that held a ring of simple taste with hope the Grace would accept his proposal.

He pulled out his pocket watch his his free hand and looked to the hands which told of twelve forty. He snapped the watched shut with slight worry fluttering through his being. Grace was never this late to their meetings; if anything she was always the first to arrive.

He huffed a breath and pivoted on his heels before walking briskly into the forest. He brushed past the trees with haste in his steps and towards the rotten old house the Grace lived in with her mother, Sally.

The small hut came into view as he briskly walked up to the door and knocked. He waited for a few moments, but with no answer as he returned his knuckles to the wood once more. Still with no answer; John pushed open the door and walked in.

" Excuse the intrusion." He muttered through his life time of manners. The old door opened slowly and gently hit against the wall, bringing it to a stop.

" Grace?" He asked to find the house empty. Such a strange sight it was for Sally not to be lay or sitting on her stack of hay cover in a few blankets. The fire place was cold with no fire light and no water in the bucket. The chipped cup sat in its rightful place upon the fire ledge as the house was dark and had a somber feel. He walked over to the room which he took lodging in and opened the door to find it also empty.

" Grace?" John called as he rushed out the house and looked at the clearing around the hut to try and see if there was any sign of her, but found none. His pace quickened as fear coated his mind as to the thought that floated through it.

" Grace?" John called hoping to find her around the bend of the trees, but to no avail. He continued in his pursuit to find his love with hopes and prayers that she be well and not hurt or worse.

He stopped in his haste and took a heavy sigh before closing his eyes and rubbing them with his thumb and middle finger of his right hand; while the other placed itself firmly onto his waist under his coat. It was then he heard the sound of a quiet cry. His head slowly looked to the sobbing as he stepped forward cautiously. What came into his view broke his heart, for kneeling in front of three crosses standing out from the ground, was Grace.

" S-she passed t-this morning." Grace whispered quietly to him as he walked over. She had changed from her usual blue or green dress and dressed herself in a black gown with a tight waist. Her shoulder jumped up and down softly as her breathing hitched from her silent cries of sorrow and loss. John slowly walked closer until he was behind her.

" I am so sorry." John said to her as she cried silently with her back hunched over and her hand to her mouth.

" I have lost my whole family." She said before she took in a deep breath and straightened her back and stood to her feet. She patted down her dress and wiped away her wetness on her cheeks. Grace shook herself to compose her emotions that ran wild within her.

" On with work. There are people that need tending too." She muttered as she turned and walked past John with a stone solid face void of any emotion. John quickly grabbed her wrist and pulled her to face him. Yet even though her body was turned to him, her face continued to stare at the ground to her right.

" My love. You have just lost your mother. I know how it feels, but I cannot know how hard it is for you after caring for her so long." John said as he lifted his hand and turned her face to look at him. Her eyes red and puffy from her previous tears that had fell.