Chapter 15: Engagement party

*EDITED* 

* Warning! This chapter contains some scenes readers may find disturbing. Read at your own risk.*

Carriages soon started to arrive that night for the engagement party. Grace stood next to John in a soft green dress decorated with bows and ruffle. John wore a patterned vest under a black waist coat and a green cravat the matched the colour of Grace's gown. Grace's hair was mostly pulled up in plaits holding it all in place with a few thick strands hanging down. John's hair was hanging down like it would normally be with thin curls. John took her hand and walked out of his double door too see men helping their partner out of the carriages.

" Adam, glad you could make it." John welcomed him into the house by shaking his hand. Adam then looked to Grace and bowed softly.

" Miss Grace. Wonderful to see you again." Adam smiled to her taking her hand and kissing her knuckles softly.

" Wonderful to see you as well." Grace smiled back with a soft dip to the ground and back. For a while Grace and John welcomed their guests until one man stood in front of Grace. His eyes bore into her as if she was nothing but meat waiting for him.

" James. Thank you for coming." Grace said with a forced smile as her heart seemed to stop beating. Something about James made her feel extremely uncomfortable and nervous. James took her hand and held it a little too tightly as he brought it roughly to his lips.

" The pleasure is mine." He smirked to Grace who tried to take her hand back; but James held it securely in place. His eyes continuing to look at her with greed edged into them. John stepped up behind Grace and placed a hand onto the small of her back.

" If you will excuse Grace please. She has people she must meet." John said glaring at James as John shifted to place his gloved hand gently onto Grace hand which James held, James then reluctantly released her hand. Grace pulled her hand back as John let it go and cradled it in her other hand; with a glance up to John she could see he was glaring intensely at James, as if in a way telling him Grace was his.

" Let us go Grace." John said as they turned and walked into the hall side by side, John's hand was still place gently onto the small of her back. The music played softly as the bodies stood in small circles talking amounted themselves happily. Grace moved closer to John and hung onto to his right arm as she looked around at the unfamiliar faces around her. John move to place a hand onto her hand and tightened it to give her some comfort.

" John! Where is she that stole your heart? Oh Miss Grace! Oh how wonderful to finally meet you!" A woman called with a high pitched voice that cause Grace to cringe inwardly. Grace looked to the woman and smiled at her blond hair pinned up and a bright yellow dress.

" Good evening, I am sorry but I do not know your name?" Grace muttered gently to her as the woman chuckled loudly and placed a hand on her chest.

" Why, I am Elizabeth Garrett." She dipped to her and Grace smiled nodding. Elizabeth took Grace's hand from John and pulled her away.

" Come you must meet the other ladies!" She cried to her as Grace looked back to John who smiled softly before turning back to the men he was talking with. Grace watched as she was pulled to a group of six ladies all dressed differently and in different colours. They all looked to Grace and smiled happily as she walked over to them.

" Grace so nice to finally meet you." They all chimed to her in high pitched voices happily as they introduced themselves to her. Grace did not hear their names for the high pitched talking they produced. Grace became flustered by them and need to escape there conversation.