Chapter 11: Party

*Edited*

Grace walked down the large halls towards the front door while continuing to fidget with her dress. The time for the party, that John's business partner was holding, was now upon them. Grace wore white heeled shoes with a soft green dress the had hints of yellow within it. Fabric flower shapes lined the bust of the dress as it hugged her thin form with a gentle puff out from her lower back. Her hands, up to her elbows, where covered with silk white gloves and her engagement ring over her left glove. Her beautiful red hair was pinned up in perfect balance with little curls hanging slightly from the pinned up style.

" Grace. Darling you look absolutely exquisite." John smiled gently to her as she wrapped a white shawl around her shoulder. He wore a white shirt with a white cravat tied around his neck. A silk black vest held his shirt in place with a black, fitted, fishtail waist coat; buttoned up with black buttons. The waist coat sleeves clung down his arms and down to the cuff where they then became a black silk with a dark purple tint. Stopping short, to allow some of the white shirt prod out a few centimeters. He wore long black loose trouser that reached just under his ankle were upon his feet he wore shining black shoes. A top hat sat comfortable upon his black curling locks that reached just past his ears, his stubble had been lightly trimmed back lining his strong jawline.

"You are not so bad as well." Grace smiled to him as he pulled on black leather gloves and slipped them onto his thick digits to up just past his wrists. Grace wrung her hands against her stomach as her nerves slowly began to take hold of her. John smiled when he saw this and took her hands into his own bringing them up to his lips. Even with the material covering them; the spark of heat could be felt.

" Calm down love. You are going to be just fine." John spoke softly as he moved one of his hands from her and to her cheek to pulled her face to his, giving her a soft reassuring peck. Grace nodded and smiled with a deep outlet of a shaking breath. John then pulled his right hand from her cheek before he lead her out of the door and towards the black carriage which was pulled by two white horses. The Butler opened up the door as John helped Grace up into the carriage before following her himself. They sat next to each other as Grace placed her head onto his shoulder.

" Drive on." John called and the carriage jolted forward.

" Remind me what this party is about?" Grace asked against his shoulder as John reach over and grabbed her gloved hand in his.

" He is hoping to impress a few of the other business that are joining him tonight; in order to secure a business deal." John explained as the carriage jumped gently over the road. Grace shifted closer to him with a sigh and slight nod.

" I see. I think I will just stick by your side for the night. I will not know anyone there." Grace whispered to him causing John to chuckle and rub his thumb over her gloved knuckles. He brought it up and kissed it before kissing the side of her ginger coloured hair.

" I would not ask for more, my love." He whispered making Grace smile to herself. They sat quietly for the rest of the journey towards a very large house, similar to John's maybe just slightly smaller. Carriages lined to front as everyone arrived at the party; John squeezed Grace's hand gently before the carriage pulled to a stop. John stepped out and turned to offer Grace his hand. Taking John's hand with her left; she lifted up the front of her dress with her right hand for an easier exit. Once her feet were on the ground she soothed out her dress and linked her arm into John's extended one.

" Ready." He asked as Grace nodded softly and walked, with John's lead, to the front door. The sun was slowly beginning to set allowing the candle lights to light up the area of the front house in a soft golden glow. They walked slowly up the stone steps to were the maids were taking the coats and hats. John took Grace's wrap and took off his own coat and hat, along with his gloves and handed them over to the maids before they walked through the large front room and into the party room. It was full with man in suits and very few woman; who were wives of the men. Many of them very of old age, maybe one or two younger. Music from a small orchestra played gently under the chatter of the men.