Ambush

Morning had shown itself once again. You tossed the covers aside, ridding yourself of fatigue as you basked in the light of day-spring. The wound that tarnished your lower abdomen was surprisingly non-painful. The dressing had soaked much of the bleeding and it had formed a timely scab. However, you touched your fingertip to your cheek, lightly dragging across the area in which Natasha had gifted you her dirty leftover. It stung, a flickering burn as the skins contacted. You checked the time, pulling on loose sweats and a hoodie as you made your way to the garage - ready to hop on your motorcycle. You had decided to ready yourself at the compound handing yourself an opportunity to speak with your father.

Upon arrival, Tony was awaiting your presence, greeting you at the entrance. He placed a gentle kiss upon your forehead, his eyes wide at the mark on your face. Unlike your usual self, you felt little urge to joke or quip. As the others addressed you, it appeared that the feeling was unanimous. Every interaction amounted into concern. You were ushered to a discreet back room by your father, who presented you with an arsenal of weapons.
"Take your pick."
You scanned the weapons, sliding two dark blades, a pistol and a small tube of a bright verdant nerve agent. You took it in your palm, sliding it between your first finger and thumb before displaying it to Tony - evidently intrigued.
"Open it against someone's face. They'll be gone for around an hour."
The corners of your mouth upturned, sinister thoughts sweeping your logic.

The door slid open as Pepper made herself welcome, Maria entering shortly behind. Your mother's face was smothered with brood as she frantically twisted open the lid to a tub of ointment before taking your face in her hands and gently swiping it over the cut.
"I don't even want to know how that happened, Y/N."
Her lip was visibly trembling as she held you before her.
"Good. It's nothing to worry about."
She excused herself, just as quickly as she'd arrived, stating that she couldn't be in this environment - the stress made her unwell. Tony held the door open as he went to follow Pepper, asking one final time if you were sure. You nodded a reply, slipping the pistol into it's holster and next to the agent before bending to clasp your daggers.

Alone in the room remained yourself and Maria. She stood as she usually did, leaning on one leg with her arms folded - a stern look plastered against her face.
"You strapped up ?"
You allowed a giggle.
"Heard that before."
She slapped your arm playfully, before staring awkwardly for a moment - finally pulling you into a tight embrace. Maria rarely displayed any emotion that veered far from sexual intent or murder. But here she stood, with you held tightly in her arms as she lay her head upon your shoulder.
"Be careful. Please."
You spoke against her as she turned herself further inward, her face in the crook of your neck.
"Of course."
Upon removing herself, she cleared her throat before flashing you a discreet, yet genuine smile and leaving the room. You slipped out your clothes, mindful as to not dismantle your belt or clutches that held the weaponry. You swapped the lounge set for a fitted padded vest, matched with a sleek black underlining that covered the remaining skin of your arms and chest. You then stepped into some cargo trousers, that suitably covered the blades strapped to your legs, belting it round your waist and finally adding boots. You ran your hands down your front, sighing as your mind fell to Wanda. She'd been a little out of contact since leaving to visit family - it bothered you a little, but not enough to create an issue. After swinging between decisions, you formed a short text informing her of your recent activity, garnished with a small smiley face and heart - you sent it before returning it to the pocket of your cargos.

Making your own way to the Harley motorcycle that awaited you, the plan of action was jumping through the synapses of your mind. You had ensured you knew it inside out - no room for mistakes. You mounted the bike, revving the engine as the gates spread them-self for you. You were headed for a highly secure government office at the edge of the city - it was practically untraceable, so you were forced to memorise the directions from a map. The SAT Nav was rendered useless. You raced the streets, ticking every turn off a mental list as you, eventually, approached the building. It was at the the edge of a small town, secluded by high hedges and a thicket of forest before. Practically impossible to locate if you weren't seeking it out. You had spent so much time pondering at the compound that the sun was now low. You parked your bike against the furthest tree, a memorable spot and hinged it against the towering height. You stalked through the overgrowth, kneeling within eyeshot of the ventilation shaft situated round the side of the building - secluded, un-guarded. You lifted your wrist into view, watching as the seconds ticked and struck 9pm. As expected, the security out front had been instructed into turnover. Your target had made a left, striding to exit past the ventilation. His replacement followed suit. They interacted briefly before the original handed a set of keys to the rotation guard. After their separation, you moved from your spot, watching your footing against the gravel as you took the man be a chokehold, slicing his neck and stifling his struggle with your palm to his mouth. You assisted him in his descent to the floor, leaving him in the open as you unhooked the keys, crawling into the vent's shaft. You slid through, wary of your time constraint as the shifting of your weight created unavoidable clatter within the metal hollows.

You dropped from the outlet into a dark hall, sticking the landing as you steadied yourself - your palm to the floor. Luckily, your memory of the ventilation system served you well as you had found yourself directly outside the Ambassador's suite. The time reads 9.08pm, the seconds escaping you as you push the key into the lock. You fumble a little as your bloodied hands slick the entrance. You wait as the time turns. At 9.10pm the security camera's of the suite reset as a new reel of film is entered. You have a window of around 3 to 4 minutes where you're able to retrieve files. You must be in and out of there before the camera's are live again, otherwise, you're not sure how you'll escape.

A light rustle strikes to your right as you whip your head round to face the origin. Bloodied footsteps follow the figure who stands, puffing their chest before you. The red locks serve as a ode to remembrance, the rage of familiarity causing beads of sweat to roll the skin of your forehead.
"I told you. Stay out of my affairs."
"Or what."
She leapt towards you, wrapping your neck in her thighs - deja vu from your first encounter. You tore her from above you, slamming her violently into the wall as she kicked her heel into your knee. You buckled to her height as she grabbed your neck, standing and crashing you into the floor. As she increased the weighting upon you, your wrist read an untimely 9.10pm. You took her wrist in your hand, removing her from you as you twisted her arm before pulling her next to you. As you stood, you swiped her head with the sole of your foot before turning the key and entering the room - shutting Natasha out as you entered. Immediately, you headed for the dimly illuminated desk that was home to an embedded laptop upon the surface. Behind the desk was a bay window that opened out onto a balcony, which allowed for the remainders of relative daylight to bleed into the suite - gifting you just enough to identify the holster in which you entered the USB. You had bypassed the security, frantically downloading every inch of data you could get your hands on into the stick. As you awaited its finality, the door swung open, Natasha stepping in and shutting it gently behind her.

"They're coming. Our fighting alerted them."
Your heart sunk, a pit forming in your stomach as you pulled the drive from its position, enclosing it in your pocket. You were speechless, stood before Natasha as she raised her hands.
You could hear noise and clutter originating from the floors below as an alarm sounded, the march of footsteps upon the stairs bouncing around your skull. You stared at Natasha, who's features were accentuated in the golden hues. Grey was enclosing the space as the sun left the sky, the suite's camera becoming live an entire minute early due to your discovery. You stood in quietude, both clearly racing through any possibility of flee. As she lowered her hands, you remained still, almost accepting as a fiery electric bolt shot from her wrist. A pinpoint landed upon your body, maroon electricity shooting from the source - encasing your body. In an instant you were floored, stuck against the unforgiving mahogany as Natasha towered over you, dragging you by your legs into the centre of the room - propping you in position for all the see. You winced as the stride of threatening footsteps grew closer, Natasha clearly having set you here as a time delay for her own departure.

"I'm sorry this has come to an end. Truly, it's been fun."
She held her palm to your cheek, running her thumb along her work on your face. She took a tear upon her finger, stopping it as it dropped from your eye. She held you there as the tread of security was louder than ever.
"Go. You'll get away if you leave now."
You trembled as you spoke, the words bled from your lips as you struggled to form the sentence.

She gifted you a smile. An authentic grin as she lost contact with you, standing at your feet before heading to the open glass windows. You lay, defeated and welcoming of capture. You thought of your parents, Wanda, Maria...
You had left. They had expected you back. Not even a farewell.