A Fateful Goodbye

You stood over Natasha's grave, Bucky resting his metal hand on your lower back as you concealed your need to sob in the small crowd. Your father had exiled you completely, Wanda laying each and every secret out for all to see. Maria was the only person from home who had stayed in relative contact with you, which you appreciated more than words could explain.

Clint approached you, kissing your forehead and pushing your hair out of your face.
"This isn't your fault."
You didn't respond. You didn't view it that way.

Wanda had come out victorious in a game that neither of you had willingly played. You hurt her, undeniably, but she tore your one true shot of redemption from directly between your arms. Your secrecy really does come with a price.

You touched the chilly grain of her headstone lightly with your fingertips, bidding her an apologetic farewell.
"God, I miss you Nat..." you whispered into the empty air, Bucky stood a couple feet behind you.
He was allowing you to stay at his and drove you every day to visit her grave. He's been your only stability since that fateful day.

You stood in a routine-like manner, wiping your never ending tears with a damp tissue. Bucky stepped forward wrapping his arm round your shoulder and pulling you into his side.
"So, what do we want for dinner?"
You grinned a little, wishing he were someone else.
"You choose, Buck. I'm not hungry."

And with that, you were forcing yourself to accept existence without her. You always seemed to run into her before, so who's to say you wouldn't again?
You held onto this prospect dearly, keeping her everlasting soul close to your heart. You'd never love again. You'd wait and find her in a further place - you knew you would. But for now, you'd need to say goodbye.