22

I slowly opened my eyes and swore because of the brightness that almost blinded me. "I can't see properly," I murmured and heard whispering beside me. "Who is here?"

"Us, Diva. We are here for you. All of us!" I heard Ismarelda answer in a weak tone. I rubbed my eyes, and my vision started to get back. "Can you see now?" she asked as I blinked furiously.

"Sort of, it will take me a minute to focus with you. Can I have a sip of water, please?"

"Here you go," Dorian held a cup of water and handed it to me. However, my hands were still shaking from my numb state, so he helped drink it.

"Thank you."

"Anytime, are you feeling better now?" he asked, and I could see once again very clearly.

"Yes, but I still feel a bit weird? Like I am still dreaming, and I can't get a hold of my surroundings. What happened before I fainted? How did we get here? Please tell me that you did not take me to the hospital!" I started to panic, but Keri gave me a light slap to my cheek.

"Calm down!" she demanded. I took a deep breath and nodded. "You were brought here by these gentlemen, and don't worry, they did not take you to the hospital upon your request. I treated you."

"Oh, good. I appreciate it, guys." I looked at them and smiled. They all gave me encouraging nods.

"Can I speak with Divana alone, please?" Dorian asked, and I was startled by his question. All of them got up and did not ask any further questions. We were alone, in a small guest room. "I hope you are willing to talk to me about your life because things are getting complicated."

"Yeah, I know. My life is full of crap and not the type that lives in the sea! I was kidnapped and almost raped!" I did not notice that my tone was high until I said the last word. It made me wince at the horrific events that I went through not long ago, and unfortunately, it was not a first-time experience. The only difference was that this time, it ended in a good way. "You know that I was an orphan, right?"

"Yes."

"Alright... well, my life at the orphanage was not full of rainbows and unicorns... it was more like hell and devils. Also, it is the reason why I don't like to be treated in hospitals."

"What do you mean?" he asked as he fixed his chair to look straight at me.

"Isa doesn't know, so I have no idea why I am about you tell you this. I want this conversation to stay between us until I am ready to share it with the others... that is if I am ever ready...."

"You have my word; I won't say anything. It is not my story to tell."

Maybe that was the reason why I trusted Dorian to listen to me; he would not judge. But again, Isa would not judge me either, so why?

"I loathed my orphanage days because I was deflowered. I was just a child at that time, so I did not know who to trust. I did not trust anyone, and I was right. My orphanage was more like a brothel for pedophiles. I stayed as far away from human contact as far as I could until a new doctor joined the facility. Hence, my hatred toward hospitals. His name was Matthew Ryder."

I drank a bit of water and then continued. "Matthew seemed nice at first, but then, one day, I saw him touch a boy in all the wrong places. The second I witnessed this, I tried to run away. I really did, yet they caught me and locked me in the same room with this psycho doctor, and he did his 'deeds' with me. He forced me, and I was broken beyond repair. The good news is that this doctor got arrested not long ago because he was involved in a kidnapping case of Ariel O'Connor. I don't know if you watch the news, though. Anyways, I was scooped later by the Henslers. They saved me by being my adoptive parents. I was never happier to know that I was rescued from that sick institution. I was grateful for their kindness and care. They loved me as if I was their own biological daughter until they died." I wiped a stray tear and looked at the ceiling.

"I was a fixed glass. The irony was that glass cannot be fixed the way it was before. So, I was broken my whole life."

I waited for Dorian's comment, but it never came. Instead, I received a gentle embrace. The moment I felt his warmth radiate from his body, I let myself cry for a while. "You are okay now. You have me. You have us. You are not alone." He whispered softly in my ear as I wept like an ugly monkey. Sorry monkeys, but it was the truth.

"I am now chased by a gang that has a lame name because people from my beloved hometown spread the word that I have money. My life is wonderful."

"Don't worry, I will protect you. We will support you until it's all cleared up. However, the ones who are after you from the US are here from the looks of it. I believe that they are planning something big that will come to life, sooner or later. We must stay on alert twenty-four-seven, and we should tell Jino about why we're really in Rio. He will help, for sure."

"Fine, but as you promised, not a single word about my background at the orphanage. I trust you, Dorian, don't let me regret my decisions."

"You don't need to worry. I was trained to keep secrets, literally," he said playfully, and I chuckled. "Can I call for the rest so that we can form a plan together? More opinions on this will bring a better result."

"Yes, I agree." I grabbed the cup of water, and he got out of the room. I made up my mind... once all of this is over, I will split my heritage with them. They deserve my help since they are risking their lives for me—a nobody.

~~~ 

Chapter 25 is out now on inkitt :)