25

*Read the note at the end*

"Um... What just happened?"

Dorian took a deep breath and laughed his heart out. "Man, I fell hard for a weird one. I love you, Divana!" he repeated and hugged me tightly. Our crew was nowhere to be seen, and some passerby smiled at us. We looked kind of cringy.

"Dorian, are you serious?" I felt that my replies were kind of idiotic, which they were; the feeling was just a way to sympathize with myself.

"No, I am joking... Of course I am serious, and I love you with all your flaws. I love you for who you are. I love you for the troubled mind that you have. I love you, Divana."

There was a moment of silence for me to process what he said, and I collected my thoughts quickly. "I don't know what to say, and I don't want to respond to your confession yet because I want a clear head to do it." I smiled. "But that's strange. What was I so frustrated about? I suddenly feel that all of my deepest emotions are inefficient and were not worthy of my tears. I know that I am not what I said earlier. I know my worth. Thanks to you, Dorian." I said and kissed his cheek. He smirked and let go of me.

"Heck yes! You are a queen in my eyes. Now, let's go eat ice cream; I think we deserve a treat after this intense outbreak."

"Let's go," I replied and held out my hand this time for him to hold. "Your hand is warmer than before." I was not complaining; I was just curious.

"Due to the outburst of my tremors. After all, love is hot," he remarked with a grin, and I laughed. He nudged my shoulder, and I calmed down. "Look at that pregnant lady with the stroller; doesn't she look tired?"

I faced the other side, and indeed she seemed exhausted. It was smoking outside, and she looked like she was in her last days of pregnancy. "Let's go check her out. Maybe she needs help," I suggested. As we walked toward her, she let out a yelp and accidentally let go of the stroller that had the baby in it. "Oh shit!" Dorian and I cursed in unison and dashed after the baby. The slope was getting sloppier if that was even a word to describe it, and at the end of it, there was the main street with cars on it. Speeding cars nonetheless.

I did not know how I was running faster than Dorian, his injury could be the cause, but I prayed for my legs to not betray the toddler and me. "Someone stop the fucking stroller!" I shouted. However, everyone appeared either surprised or scared. No one dared to move, and I kept running. Why does a sudden change in one's surrounding area freeze people and prevent them from thinking straight? Couldn't they just react quickly?

"Divana, can you make it?" I heard Dorian ask behind me. He sounded terrified, which was justified. I did not look back at him though, because that would be a stupid move to make, yet I did attempt to reply.

"I... will!" As I said that, I managed to grab the stroller's handle without thinking that the baby's belt would snap. "Oh crap!" I said as I saw the giggling baby in the air. I tried to catch up, but a striking pain ran through my left hip. I was about to scream from the horror of seeing a dead human being; Dorian jumped up high and caught the baby at the last moment. He was about a year old, maybe less, and he was finally safe and sound. Dorian sprawled on the ground beside me while holding the baby, and we panted heavily, waiting for his mom's arrival. She was still up ahead, and I was not climbing that hill in this state. "We rock," I commented, and Dorian chuckled, feeling pain in his hips as well. He winced hard, and I related to the twinge.

I looked around and sighed. People usually clap when they witness such heroic actions, yet no one even uttered a single word. I liked to believe that they were still in shock and could not comprehend what happened or how it happened, which made me grin from ear to ear. I was not helpless after all.

"Oliver!" As his panting mother arrived, our friends came back, looking confused. "Querido, obrigado Senhor! Obrigada te devo minha vida."

"I believe that you are thanking us... I hope. I can say that we must do what we can do if we see things like these. I am glad Oliver is okay. Look, he's laughing at Dorian's funny face," I replied with a smile. She looked ready to give birth from the almost accident.

"Oh, I am sorry! Thank you so much. I owe you my life. You saved my baby boy, and I am forever grateful!" The mom cried as she kissed Oliver.

"Are you okay, though? Why did you let go of the stroller? I am assuming you did not want to injure or kill your baby." Dorian asked as he stood up and helped me stand up next to him.

"Of course not. I am okay now, but I had sharp contractions. I have been having those in small quantities since I woke up, so I thought that maybe a short walk would help ease the pain... It sure didn't. I felt that I was ready to give birth from the fear of losing Oliver." Her tearful face and worried eyes showed how she truly cared. "By the way, I am Valentina. What are your names? I would like to invite you to my house as a token of my appreciation for saving my baby."

"I am Divana, this is Dorian, and these are our friends. It was the normal thing to do, so no need to thank us. Don't sweat it!"

"Nonsense! I am inviting you to my home for a feast. If my husband knew about what happened, he'd love to thank you in person. I know that he would be upset if he doesn't meet the heroes, so let's save the trouble and come tomorrow. Bring all of your family and friends. I am serious. Does anyone have a phone to write down the address? I will be expecting you, so don't bail on me, please."

"Fine," I caved in because I felt that she would not leave us alone. To be honest, I would not leave the savers too if it was my baby. I was sure that what happened today would be a unique story to tell Jino and Belmira.

~~~

This book will be 30 chapters, and I will post two more here, the last three will be available on inkitt for free! If you want the link, send me a message.