Just a recruit

English assignment again

  Dark and cloudy, not exactly the best combination. My inner side screamed loudly in warning as she begged me to turn back; return to the station. Despite being the freshest recruit, I was known for my boldness; some even wondered if I was a distant relative of Juliane Koepcke. A thunder struck suddenly, cracking the sky into two. The car stopped its tracks.

  "SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY DETECTED," a monotonic voice blared from the speakers. The windscreen pinpointed a warehouse that seemed to have ceased its operations since the 1900s. "AWAITING FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS."

  "Let's check it out," I told the car. I often find myself speaking with inanimate objects as I highly despise communicating with actual people. Who would want a blabbermouth to abruptly interrupt one's train of thoughts?

  "I CANNOT COMPREHEND," the car reminded.

  "Shoot, right, sorry," I sighed as I was hit with the reality that the car is not like a human being who can 'comprehend' human emotions. "Remain here but call for backup if I don't return in 15 minutes."

  I tugged on the door handle and stepped out with a torchlight in hand. The ground was dry; I made a mental note to swiftly scan through the warehouse before Mother Nature provides a free shower. My eyes wandered about before the sound of clanging chains echoed from the ancient warehouse. My hold of the torchlight tightened; my intuition cried out warning me of possible deadly situations I may face if I were to step inside the warehouse.

  The wooden floor whined before the wooden planks broke in half, causing me to tumble into a tunnel system. No way out, that was certain. I shouted for my car to no avail. Communications are blocked out, as I further inspected the walls which were made from lead. Lead walls were known to obstruct all communication signals. My attention turned towards the darkness ahead as the clanging of chains grew louder. My legs instinctively moved forward to investigate, my heart beating harder and quicker than before.

  A rusted metal door nearby caught my attention. It certainly looked unwelcoming which makes it a rather suiting hideout for would-be criminals. Protocol dictated that backup should be called. However, the tiger inside me roared with courage. I busted the door open.

  Not a good call.

  Inside the room, there were people in giant, transparent glass tubes, whose faces I recognised from the station's missing people board. Suddenly, they began to groan and growl at me. I scrambled towards the rusted door before a disfigured man stuck out his mangled arm (that was bending in ways it should not be) and blocked the door. My hand clenched into a fist as I landed a powerful punch on his face before shutting the door.

  A loud, disgusting groan echoed from behind me. I turned to find a person... no, a zombie of some sort, with only his torso and head left intact, crawl towards me effortlessly. With a few clicks, a bullet teared through his rib cage. However, he was still alive, or rather, still undead. My legs picked themselves up as I sprinted to wherever the tunnel system led me to.

  Eventually, a set of broken wooden stairs led towards an opening with faint sunlight seeping through the cracks and holes of the door. The zombie continued to crawl towards me, somewhat faster than before. I raced to the top of the stairs whilst refilling the pistol. Before breaking myself free, I turned to the zombie for one last time and shot his head. I remained as the bullet pierced through his skull.

  The chief had hired a therapist in hopes to cure my 'hallucinations'. I was suspended from all police duty, including simple duties like guarding of the children's park nearby. I shoved the therapist away and made my way towards the chief.

  "Sir, you have to believe me. I saw what I told everyone," I insisted, nearly yelling.

  "Go back to your therapy session, recruit," the chief hissed as he put special emphasis on the last word.

  "I may be just a recruit, however that is not equivalent to 'seeing imaginary things'," I raised my voice.

  There was a group of people in front of a set of televisions which displayed the perspective of a group of officers who were dispatched to investigate the warehouse.

  "You do not know anything, you have lesser experience compared to the rest," the chief claimed. "Take her back to the therapist, Officer Raven," he instructed to a passing officer.

  "10 4."

  I sighed loudly out of frustration and complied to the chief's orders. One day, just one day, I will show him what a 'recruit' can really do.