09. OUR SIDE OF THE ISLAND

The party was... exciting. Hayley didn't go to these kind of parties at home, but it's kind of a thing here to spend the summer partying. And since her boyfriend is a hard-core partier, she can't really avoid it.

Kie was talking about Zodiac signs, Pope was talking about death, John B was staring at Sarah Cameron and JJ was... Well Hayley didn't know where he was, she lost him when Sarah started to talk to her.

Even though Kie told her to stop talking to Sarah, she decided that she didn't wanted to be told who can and can't be her friends, it was her own choice, and maybe Sarah didn't like Kie, she didn't know. Sometimes people aren't meant to be friends, but that doesn't mean they're not meant to be friends with anyone, so Hayley thought it was only logical.

Sarah hugs Hayley while she has a drink in her hand. "Want some?" She asks and Hayley shakes her head. "No, no, thank you, after last time..." she stops and smiles. "It doesn't matter," she then says and Sarah smiles.

It was already getting a bit dark and she had no idea how she spent the entire day walking around and smile at people.

Before she knew it Sarah was already gone, taking to Topper, and JJ was there also. When she found JJ he was talking to Sarah, it didn't look like they were really talking talking, but she decided she would go to them anyways, maybe they were trying to make friends?

"Sarah! Can I interest you in a tasty Milwaukee beverage?" He asks Sarah, and she shakes her head. "No, thanks," she says and smiles a bit, looking at Hayley. "Is it not fancy enough for you?" JJ says, obviously drunk. "JJ," Hayley tries at the same time Sarah replies. "No, we were just leaving," she says and Topper starts to interact.

"Hey? You know what? I'll take it," He says, obviously looking for a fight. "I'll- thank you man, I appreciate it," he says again and JJ looks at him with a vicious look. "That's nice Topper, but I didn't ask you, if you said pretty please, maybe," Hayley could practically hear him smirking, and she didn't like it, at all.

"But you didn't," he says and Topper smiles, sarcasm evidable in his voice. "Oh, pretty please, pretty please?" He asks and she smiles. "Yeah, Sarah? You can have it," JJ says and Topper pushes the drink in a direction it goes straight into JJ's face. "Topper!" Hayley exclaims, and he just smirks. "She doesn't want it you-" JJ starts to push it, in for a fight.

"Okay!" Sarah says wanting to break the couple up. "Stop!" Hayley says and tries to push Topper away. "No, no, no, no," John B says and pulls JJ away. "You're so funny man!" JJ says and Hayley gives him a begging look.

"Hey," John B says, his conscience clear. "Dirty poques," Topper says and John B pushes him, trying to hit him too. It went from JJ and Topper to Topper against John B quickly, and from this sight it looks like John B is winning.

"We're supposed to be incognito remember?" Pope says and Topper walks to John B. A crowd starts to surround them and she fears the worse. If they start to cheer or shout 'fight', one of them has to take the bait, and it will not end well.

"Babe, babe, babe, babe," Sarah says trying to stop Topper. But Topper doesn't stop, he hits John B, hard. He falls on the ground and and sea water splashes over him. "Guys! Guys!" Sarah's voice is the one everyone hears, yet Hayley could only focus on John B and Topper.

Topper says something and John B stands up, hitting him repeatedly. After a couple punches Topper falls on the ground and they start fighting again, Kie, Sarah and Hayley all shout for them to stop, but why listen?

When Topper takes the overhand, he throws John B in the water and holds him by the neck, drowning him. "Topper stop!" Both Hayley and Sarah shout. "He's drowning him!" Pope says and Hayley starts to panic. "Topper- why is no one doing anything?!" Hayley shouts and runs to the water, failing to stop Topper.

She didn't care if it was about power or not, she needed to safe her friend. "Topper stop! You won! Fuck- Topper!" She screams trying to push him away. Topper does let go of John B, after giving a final push. His hand finds Hayley's throat, and I squeezes it tightly.

Choking, she tries to gasp for air. She puts her hands around Toppers and hears muffled screams. Suddenly she sees JJ, with his gun. No, no, no, no. "JJ," She tries to say, but only a muffled sound comes out. "Yeah, you know what it is," JJ says and the gun clicks. "Your move Broski," he says and her eyes close.

JJ had his gun against Toppers head.

If,

And only if, he shoots Topper, then she... it just can't. Not only will he go to prison, she couldn't forgive him. He was Sarah Cameron's boyfriend! How can she look at her, without knowing that has happened, and he'd go to jail! Her father would never let her have poque friends after this. Dammit.

She couldn't hear anything, even with the gun Topper held her tight. It isn't him, that isn't him, he's just drunk, he's an asshole, it isn't him.

She couldn't stop the tears falling from her cheeks. Her eyes fluttered close and she let it happen. Then, Topper let go of her. She opens her eyes and looks at JJ.

While she's gasping for air she falls on the ground, coughing and trying not to let any sea water in.

"Okay everyone listen up! Get the hell, off our side of the island!" He screams and then two shots fired. She let's out a soft scream before standing up and running towards JJ. "Are you crazy?! You idiot...!" She didn't hear her own voice anymore, she didn't hear anything anymore.

Seeing John B fall in the water got her undivided attention. "John B!" She screams and calls for help. "Guys!" She screams again and then everyone starts to help.

Pope and JJ help him get up, and bring him to the van. "Let's get him home," Kie says and Hayley stops in her tracks. This is ridiculous, she is playing with fire and she knows it.

"I'm gonna go home," she says and they all look at her. "What?" JJ asks and looks at Pope, then letting go of John B.

"Hayley," he says and she shakes her head, tears in her eyes. "I can't, I-I'll see you tomorrow or something. Text me," she says and turns around. "You're gonna walk? After everything that just happened?" He asks and tries to take her hand, but she pulls back. "I'm sorry," she says and shakes her head.

"Hayley," Kie tries, but JJ stops her. "No it's fine, if she wants to do that, then go ahead and fucking go for it," she looks down and nods. "Bye Kie, Pope," she says and then turns around.

She puts her arms around her waist and walks home. It took her longer than normal because she was walking slowly, and she actually didn't wanted to confront her dad about it.

When she did arrive the house lights were off, so maybe, just maybe she could sneak back in. She climbs up and makes it in her room alive. She was actually disappointed her dad didn't even notice she was gone.

She changes and lays in her bed, putting on Spotify and listening to 'fireflies' by owl City. Closing her eyes she takes a deep breathe and slowly falls asleep.

~1311 words~

Last time I published i didn't watch obx 2 yet, but now. OML! go streaam