Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO
INDIGO

Kolby drives a 2012 F-250 Powerstroke. It's white, with big tires, impossibly tall, at least to me. To Kolby, climbing up into the huge rig probably isn't as much of an ordeal. He's like six two or something outlandish like that, and though I don't typically consider myself to be too short (I'm five eight, for God's sakes), I always feel like a midget when I stand beside him. Not only is he tall, he's huge. He's a little over two hundred pounds of I had to guess, and all muscle. Now, I just know all of this from memory, and the only reason I'm complaining about Kolby's massive truck, is becuase it's now idling in the street. I can see the glossy top of the cab from above.

I'm still getting ready, tucking my toes into my heels. I'm not too worried about hurrying, the show case is just a town over, straight highway, only about twenty or so minutes, and it's just now six, so unless Kolby plans on sitting in his truck for forty minutes outside the building the showcase is in, I'm assuming he's coming in to chat. I smile to myself as I hear him cut the engine, and then the opening and closing of his truck door.

Sadie's downstairs making her dinner. The gymnastic team's nutritionist had given her a strict meal plan, and now that she's in the midst of competition season, she's been following it like it's law. She wouldn't even try the new Ben & Jerry's flavor I brought home last weekend, and what's a chick flick marathon without ice cream? Especially of the Ben & Jerry's variety?

Anyways, tonight's entree is grilled chicken with green beans and some sad excuse of bread. It's a treat to myself for working so hard this week, Sadie had told me when I had wrinkled my nose at the menu board tacked to the bulletin board in the living room. I'm hoping that I can convince Kolby that stopping at the Dairy Queen on the way to the showcase. I know he has a weakness for the cookie dough blizzards.

I grab my purse as I stand from my bed. I pause to check myself out in the full-length mirror hung on the back of the door, and smile at what I see. A silver dress, coming to end at the tops of my thighs, with low neckline, exposing my cleavage, or, realistically, the lack of it. The sleeves are mesh with silver sequins all down them, puffing out before coming back in at my wrist in elastic cuffs. My heels are black, simply one strap over the bottom of my foot, and around my ankle. I feel pretty.

I open the door and head downstairs to find (surprise, surprise), Sadie and Kolby mid-argument. Kolby's already laid out on the couch (blanket-less, might I add) his long frame dangling off of it everywhere. He has the remote in his hand, and instead of the recorded college gym meets, is reruns of Friends. At least he has no qualms making himself at home.

I'm surprised by how nicely he cleaned up — khakis, like I recommended, with a blue and white striped button down, the top two left unbuttoned, his cross and chain necklace left dangling on his bare chest. He's wearing dress shoes, too, the brown ones Sadie and I had gotten him for his birthday last year. His hair is left untamed, I wonder if he even ran a brush through it?

"Omigod, Kolby, turn my show back on, I was watching that!"

Kolby's voice is gravelly. Like he hasn't had a water in days, or that he smoked his entire stash of Marlboros in the last twenty four hours, "She falls, Sadie, you've seen this one already! You were fucking telling me what was about to happen!"

"I swear to God, if you don't turn this shit off right now, Kolby James Bradford, I will castrate you I'm your sleep!"

"I know you did not just call Friends shit," he says back as I enter the small room.

The apartment is pretty much a open-layout. The only thing separating the kitchen from the living room is a counter, and then the dinning room is just an afterthought, a small table pushed into the corner. We don't typically use it anyway.

Kolby whistles as I walk past him into the kitchen, I listen to him as he stands up and follows me, his huge frame like a shadow lurking over me.

"You clean up really nice, Blue," he tells me as he scoots past me to the pantry. He opens it up, and then sighs, running a hand through his hair. "Dammit, S, why don't you have any real food?"

I grab him by the shoulders and push him out of the small kitchen, "There's a bag of Doritos in my room."

He grins at me, his pale eyes twinkling mischievously, "I love you, Blue Brown. So much."

My smile slips off my face, and as he turns to walk down the hall, towards my room, I flip off his retreating figure. His pretty backside. God, his muscles. I'm surprised the his top isn't ripping at the seams.

"You're drooling," Sadie chastes, pointing her wooden spoon at me.

I look back at her, lifting and dropping my shoulders, "His back muscles are to die for. I will drool if I want."

Sadie rolls her eyes. She's never been blind to my blatant physical attraction to Kolby, but as it has never gone any farther than that — I just think he's very easy on the eyes — Sadie has never cared. I don't really think she would even if, in some weird, alternate universes, it did. She doesn't care about most things like that anyway, she's always so preoccupied with her training schedule or catching up on her homework. Or drooling a little bit herself.

"You can't even pick your jaw up off the floor whenever you see Braden, so shut up," I say, leaning my forearms against the marble countertop.

Sadie scowls at me. "He's so pretty, literally shut the fuck up." She stirs her chicken around, then lays the wooden spoon down, "And his tattoos," she licks her lips and rolls her eyes, smiling happily, "I wanna lick 'em."

"Sadie never say that again," Kolby's voice echoes from the hall, where he appears holding my Cool Ranch Doritos bag in one hand, and a package of M&M cookies in the other. He looks truly disgusted, "That's my best friend." He shakes his head, curling his lip and he groans, "Ugh, and you're my sister! Seriously, S? I hate you."

I reach my hand back to him, "Cookie."

He complies, handing me one of the delicious treats, whilst shoving one in his own mouth, "Mmhm hmmm argh."

I snort, "Do what?"

Kolby comes to stand next to me, taking up a similar stance, "What bar we going to?"

I frown, "I'll let you pick as long as we go to Dairy Queen at some point."

"Done," he says with a satisfied nod.

Sadie me shaking her head, "Do you know how bad that place is for you? I mean, it's all just empty calories!"

"Not all of us are health freaks like you."

Sadie shakes her head again, "You're both gonna die at like sixty five, and wish you would've listened to me."

Kolby and I smile at each other and shrug, stuffing another cookie in our mouths.