Chapter Fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
INDIGO

Mom answers her cell on the second ring. She sounds so happy to hear me on the other end of the line, a pant of guilt flashes across my chest. I should call more often. It's barely an hour and a half hour drive to the house she bought after I moved out, and yet, I only see her what, during holidays and the summer? It's not fair to ignore the very woman who raised me.

"Hi baby, is everything all right?" Her voice is so soothing, so warm and welcoming and just so my mom, I almost cry. I have the nature house to myself today, so it wouldn't be embarrassing, really.

I sniffle, and run a hand under both of my eyes, ensuring I'm not teary eyed, "What a girl can't call her mom?"

Mom's tinkerbell-ish echoes, "Well honey you never call, so what else am I too expect?"

I sigh. "I was actually going to ask you a question. A favor of sorts I guess." I hold my breath. After last night, seeing the awful pained look on his face as he left . . . It had kept me up until nearly four am, tossing and turning. I've been so worried by my response to Sadie's fleeting question, that, if course, hadn't correlated with Kolby in any way shape or form, I had maybe, kind of freaked out on him. But it still stands — I need space right now. And what better way to achieve that space than by spending a weekend in my moms new house?

         "Sure, what is it?"

         I'm still laying in bed, even though it's close to eleven in the morning. I just can't bring myself to rise. I'm kind of scared to face the consequences of what I all I said to Kolby last night. I sit up though, heart kind of pounding in my chest. I don't why, I'm sure mom would love to have me home, even it was just for a fleeting twenty four hours.

       "Could I come over this weekend?" I sigh, "Things here have been kind of stressful here."

       She squeals, and it nearly breaks my poor eardrums, "Of course you can! God, there for a minute I thought you were going to have me bail you out of jail or something."

     I huff a laugh, "Nope."

      I hear her clap her hands, a little habit she picked up forever ago whenever she's excited. "When will you head this way?"

      "I don't know, an hour, maybe two?" I finally climb out of my bed. I'm faced immediately with my reflection from my mirror. Curly brown hair, light brown skin, dark brown eyes. A Calum Football hoodie I've been pretending isn't Kolby's, even though his name and number are both boldly presented on my back. Sleep shorts. Fuzzy black and white striped socks.

      "Okay! I'll put some lasagna in, it should be done by the time you get here," she pauses, and then adds, "Be careful on your drive, sweetie, there's at least two inches of snow of here."

     I curl my lip in distaste. "Okay, mom, thank you."

     "Of course, baby, what are moms for? I love you."

     "Love you, too," I say, and hang up.

I begin the simple task of getting ready for the drive. I toss my hair up into the messiest of messy buns, accessorized by my favorite blacked out RayBan style sunnies. Leggings, a bra, and a hoodie swap later, I'm ready to go. I grab the small bag I had stuffed a change of clothes for tomorrow in, and head out into the kitchen. Sadie left the TV on, and a mess of dishes and ingredients. I almost pause to put everything away, but with a glance towards the clock, I know I don't really have the time.

My phone buzzes from where it's stored in my hoodie pocket. With a frown, I dig it out, and see Sadie's name flashing across my screen.

"Hello?" I say as I accept the call.