Part II: Chapter Three

Tom sat alone in silent, deep thought. Although it was late and the morning was quickly approaching, his mind buzzed with questions. Most of them were focused on this strange and mysterious child who had seemingly just appeared and been flung straight into his life. Even now he didn't know what to do. Part of him was tempted to just leave her stranded all alone here and move on for his own self preservation... but he just couldn't bring himself to. Never. But still he found himself wondering about her.

'Who is she...'

Suddenly Tom looked down and almost jumped at the sight of Mia sitting and purring happily in his lap.

"Wha-" he quickly got over his shock and groaned, picking Mia up and lifting her out of his lap. As he did so she wore a disappointed frown.
"Aw," she moaned.

"What are you doing?" Tom growled.

"It's comfy..." Mia said quietly, looking down at the ground guiltily.

Tom sighed and resigned himself, "Just go to bed. We're going to be leaving soon."
"What?!" Mia practically leaped up. Tom grimaced.

"I said go to sleep."

He turned and lay himself down on the cold hard floor of the cave and attempted to get some sleep himself.

"But what are we doing?"

Tom wanted to facepalm- wouldn't she just be quiet?!

"The dementors found us so in a few hours we're going to need to move. I know another place we can hide but we'll need to travel on foot, so rest up," he explained with withering patience.

"'We'?" Mia repeated, "So you are taking me with you!" she sounded surprised and yet happy.

"Well I didn't leave you behind in that carriage did I? And besides, the reason I'm keeping you around is because you might have a connection to the Young Family," at that Mia seemed to deflate in disappointment.

"... really?" her voice came out barely as a hopeful whisper.

"Yes," Tom replied firmly, "Now get to sleep."

Tom's eyes shot open. He breathed out quickly and pulled himself up. Doing this he realised that in the two or so hours he'd been unconscious, Mia had snuck up and fallen asleep behind him, leaning on his back for warmth. He wanted to groan or complain but in all truthfulness he couldn't blame her; but now it was time to go. He prodded her until she stirred.

"Wake up," Mia let out a tired grumble. Tom prodded again, "Wake up," he repeated.

"Yeah, yeah..." Mia's eyes slowly opened and she pulled herself up. She let out a large and animated yawn. Tom looked at her skeptically.

"Come," he started walking out towards the entrance of the cave. Without time for any other words Mia quickly chased after him, wiping the dust off her clothes as she did.

All that illuminated Tom and Mia's journey from the cave to their next hideout was the underwhelming, dim light of the sun which was barely peeking out across the horizon. The effect was that their surroundings were basked in this grey-ish hue which held the illusion of lighting up the environment but in reality achieved the bare minimum. The fog didn't help their visibility issues but Tom seemed to have no problem and Mia's solution was simply to stay close to him.

"It's foggy," Tom said and held out his hand for her, "So hold my hand."
Mia quickly grabbed hold of it and grasped it harshly.

They found themselves in the midst of a deep forest. The trees were tall and wide: most Spruce. Their barks were dark and hid most else of the environment. The leaves looked sharp and dangerous as did most of the perilous landscape of the forest- dank ditches lay like booby traps for those who didn't know when to watch their step. Mia stood close to Tom as he led her through it. About half an hour into their trip through this wooded forest, Tom and Mia entered the remains of an overgrown and seemingly abandoned graveyard. Scattered around were tombstones; large pillars; the remains of iron railings; large stone tablets; many of which if not all were obscured or covered by mounds of dirt or having tilted diagonally over wear and tear over time. Moss grew over practically everything. Unfazed and undeterred, Tom and Mia kept on, walking across the graveyard, making sure not to fall into pitfalls.