Part II: Chapter Six

Rain soared down from the heavens. The sky was pitch dark. Tom stood motionless in the middle of the wheat field, staring up into the sky, allowing the rain to cleanse him. He shut his eyes, contemplating. Slowly and calmly he steadied his breathing. He'd been standing there for ten minutes.

Eventually he pulled himself away from his thoughts and willed himself onward, tilting his head back down again and walking back to the house of Luna Lovegood to pick up Mia. As he did, the rain slowly stopped- at first reducing to mere showers before subsiding altogether. He reached the door and solemnly knocked. It quickly opened and he practically stumbled inside. He walked over to where Mia was lying, still asleep and stood next to her. Luna, who had let him in, slowly closed the door and regarded him.

"Where did you go?" she asked quietly. Tom didn't turn around.

"You'll find out," he answered, "Is she alright?"

Luna nodded although Tom couldn't see her, "She's completely recovered. Just having some extra sleep right now. I'd recommend having a shower."

Tom looked down at himself and internally chuckled. He was soaked. He hadn't showered in months. To say he needed one was an understatement. He turned around and despite his inability to meaningfully emote, he expressed his pure gratitude simply in his eyes.

"Thank you..." he said weakly.

The shower was warm. Tom wasn't used to that. It had been so long since he'd felt warm water. Especially after the contrast of being underneath the freezing cold rain. This day had been cathartic to say the least. Now under the thick pellets of gushing warm water everything finally seemed to set in for Tom. They impacted his skin with a loud 'pat' and felt to Tom like they were searing into his skin. The warm water and the steam it created was almost intoxicating him.

He'd done it.

He'd finally done it.

Aubyn Young... was...

Tom shut his eyes and felt the bliss of the warm water.

But his job was not done. If anything a new path, a somehow even harder path was set out in front of him. Whether or not he wanted it, it was too late now. The warm shower still running, Tom leaned forward, resting his forehead against the cool tiles on the warm in front of him. He shut his eyes and relaxed his tensed muscles. He breathed everything out. He just wanted... to rest. Or break down. Or cry. Or sleep. But he couldn't do any of those things.

'I just wanted...' he thought to himself, 'To be happy.'

Tom quickly wiped dry his primal, untameable onslaught of obsidian hair with the towel before tossing it over his shoulders. The shower sweats dripped down his body from his forehead to his muscled stomach. He walked out of the bathroom and back to the front room. Luna caught a glimpse of him and couldn't find the urge to continue looking, a small blush emerging on her cheeks. Tom didn't even notice, walking over to the sofa and picking up his shirt which he'd left on it. He put it on quickly, much to the silent disappointment of Luna, before throwing back on his cloak. He lightly put a hand on Mia, disturbing her enough to make her slowly open her eyes. She gave a large yawn and stretched.

"Good morning," she said, through her yawn. Tom wanted to smile but as usual couldn't. His face still just remained emotionless.

"Come on," Tom got up. Mia quickly followed, pulling herself up from the sofa, giving a brief surprised look after feeling how much better her leg felt.Tom paused and held out his hand for Mia to hold. He bent down to her level and sighed.

"I'm... sorry, Mia," he said quietly. Mia took his hand and didn't reply, wanting to listen. Tom continued, "We can't stay. We have to go."

"I know," Mia replied quickly.