Part II: Chapter Nine

Paul Layne jumped awake with a start. He quickly became reorientated with his surroundings and leaned back on what he had been leaning on. He, alongside many others, were chilling outside in the lush grass of the Hogwarts grounds. The bright yellow sun shone down on the large hodgepodge group of students, all from different houses together in one area. It was rather a strange sight: there hadn't been a previous time anyone could remember when a group this large (had to be over 50) students all came and relaxed. There was no talk about houses or division of any kind in fact. There was just... people.

"You okay?" Paul turned to a Hufflepuff boy he recognised as someone named 'David Hasselburn'. He'd befriended David and many others over the last year. This had been by far his most sociable time at Hogwarts. Whereas in earlier years he was a loner even among his house, Paul had become in a way the King of School. Now that Aubyn Young was... gone, he'd become the default most popular person in school. Not that he flaunted it.

He sat upwards and frowned. The large dark rings around his eyes showed no sign of fading.

"Fine," he mumbled before realising how grumpy he sounded. He sighed, "Sorry, I'm just really tired."
"No no, it's fine, really," David said, "I heard that you had trouble sleeping so it makes sense you'd have some rest now."
"Yeah but," he paused and sighed again, "I don't wanna miss out on all the fun you guys are having."
Another student, this one a Gryffindor, butted in, "If you're tired man, there's no harm in sleeping."
David nodded, "Exactly," he pointed a casual thumb to the other boy, "What he said."
"Why do you have trouble sleeping anyway?" asked a Ravenclaw girl who was sitting nearby them, "You got insomnia or something?"
Paul couldn't help but feel really at home in this friendly environment that was being cultivated. Everybody around him was just so nice.

"Nightmares," he replied, "Sorry, not like you asked."

"Nah man it's fine, I did," she responded casually.

"Aw bro that sucks," said David, putting a friendly hand on Paul's shoulder, "You wanna talk about it?"

"It's because of your home stuff isn't it?" chimed in the Gryffindor boy. Paul reluctantly nodded.
"Shits rough," he said simply, shrugging.

David chuckled, "Cheers to that."
"TEACHER."

All the students bristled up at the warning shout. It wasn't shrill or panicked, simply formal and informative- making sure everyone around them knew a teacher was coming.

Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger had finally come to a decision. They walked across the grass, through the grounds and over to the large clumping of students that found themself residing just on the very edge of the Grounds, just by the lake. Ron noticed as they got closer, and were noticed, that all the students got up, almost defensively in manner, and stared at them expectantly. They were on edge, it was clear to see.

"Alright everyone just calm down," was Ron's opener. He stopped a good 4 meters in front of them, making sure that it was known that he wasn't trying to be forceful or aggressive.

"It's been decided," Hermione called out loudly, "All Hogwarts studies will be suspended for the year," At this a small chatter went around the group of students. Hermione went on, "This means all students are required to go back home to their families and guardians. This change is effective immediately."
Ron continued for Hermione, "The Hogwarts Express is already waiting for you. You're all scheduled to leave at 8 o'clock. You'll arrive at around 6 am tomorrow."

"Don't you think you have something to say?" Paul's voice broke through the silence as he walked forward the front of the group until he was face to face with both teachers.