Chapter Seven

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to Joshuaa- Happy Birthday to you!"

A multitude of cheers could be heard from the other side of the door and down the hall. Tom sat on his decrepit bed, his legs in his arms to conserve body heat. The small, dim lightbulb dangled above him, blowing in the soft breeze and being held by a fragile-looking wire. Tom's little ears had pricked up upon hearing any sound and he listened intently to the harmony of all the other children of the orphanage. He could recognise the Matron's voice in the chant as well. After the song, there was loud chattering that did not cease for hours. Tom didn't mind though. In fact, he loved it. Hearing sounds; hearing friendliness; it was a reasonable substitute to absolute silence. Tom had, as usual, been "not allowed" to come to the celebration, but he had never expected to, so it did not sadden or affect him in any way.

It had been a while since there had been a birthday in the orphanage. He wondered whose birthday it was today. 'Joshua' by the sounds of it. But who was that? Tom had never heard of a Joshua in the orphanage before.

'Probably someone new,' Tom internally rationalised. A cold gust of wind passed through the window causing a new wave of goosebumps to erupt over Tom's skinny, pale arms.

'The matron's there,' he thought to himself. He turned solemnly over to his digital alarm clock, 'Hopefully she'll stay there for a few more hours.'

It was one of those days again. Tom didn't want to think about it.

"M-Maybe she's forgotten!" Tom said, unintentionally out loud, "O-or m-maybe she's being nice! I-It's a celebration after all!"

Tom, upon realising he had spoken out loud, covered his mouth quickly. He knew what would happen if someone heard him. Especially on one of these days where he had been specifically told to make no noise. The matron's good will, if it even existed at this point, would vanish immediately.

After listening out, Tom confirmed that there were no footsteps coming towards his door and breathed a sigh of relief.

'I wonder when it's going to be my birthday,' wondered Tom to himself before instantly and mentally scolding himself for thinking such a selfish thing. Now was the time to be happy for another, to be thinking for himself. He did more than enough of that on every other day.

'But when is it going to be my birthday?' insisted the voice inside Tom's head. Again, he told himself to stop. When will he learn to stop being so selfish? Then, for just a second, Tom conceded to the voice in his head. When... was his birthday? He didn't remember it. He certainly knew that no one else would remember it. What even was the date for it now? Did he even know?

'I-I'm sure I do...' Tom mentally whispered to himself, 'I just can't remember it right now-'

The door to his room suddenly burst open. Completely shocked by the suddenness of the action, Tom jumped, his eyes instantly filling with an instinctive level of fear.

"You thought I forgot?" came a familiar sneer, "You know what time it is!" The Matron spoke in a playful sing-song voice that never failed in putting dread in Tom's small and brittle heart.

Tom had been so focused and immersed in his thoughts he hadn't noticed the loud footsteps of the matron coming towards his door. He looked down at the floor shamefully. He had been an idiot to think that he wasn't going to have a session today. Why would he think he deserved that? Why would think something so stupid?

The matron stormed up to his bed and stood before him, a small frown on her face.

"Up," she ordered quickly. And when Tom didn't react fast enough, "I SAID UP!"