Chapter Thirty-Two

Tom starred up into the ceiling. He was lying down motionlessly on his bed in the Slytherin dorm room. Even though he knew it was way past midnight, his body just wouldn't let itself go to sleep. He rhythmically breathed in and out, making no other noise or movement besides that. Everyone else in the dorm room slept soundly. Tom wondered how they could do it so easily. He'd never been an easy sleeper even though recently he'd found it improving slightly. But ever since those rumours surfaced about him, he'd instantly gone back to his sleeping habits. He would like to think that it didn't affect him- the stares, the fearful and hateful looks he got, the comments and whispers he heard when he walked by. He should be used to it by now. But no. It still hurt. He was glad he could hide it though.

'But then again, maybe if I was able to show it, people would stop,' Tom reasoned in his head. He acknowledged that he was a very cold and distant person, 'It's hard for them to be empathetic to a person who doesn't show emotion.'

The main thing Tom was surprised about though, even with all the rumours going around, was the lack of response from anyone about the whole 'Esther Young' situation. Sure, it'd only been a few hours- perhaps half a day- since the incident but from Professor Weasley's response and from just how severely he'd broken the rules... he thought that a huge punishment was coming his way. But there was nothing. Tom fidgeted slightly in his bed.

'It's not like I'm complaining,' he thought to himself uneasily, 'It's just something doesn't seem right,' his thoughts then turned to what Esther Young had said. Her words echoed once again through his mind, 'How does she know about my parents?' he asked himself, 'How could she possibly know? I don't even know! My last name's probably made up by the matron anyway because there's no way she just psychically knew it!' Esther Young's words had sent him down into a spiral. He felt his blood begin to boil as well. He felt his muscles tense in the bed. He had to stop himself. He breathed out steadily and felt all the weight leave his shoulders. He stared back up at the ceiling.

'I'm probably getting expelled,' A few years ago, that realization would've meant nothing to Tom. He used to hate Hogwarts just as much as he hated the orphanage. It was cold and empty and lonely and just... too big. At least with the orphanage he could like it because of how familiar it was. Back in his first few years, Hogwarts was just a fresh hell. But now things were different. Now as Tom was confronted with the realization, he felt... sad. Of course his face barely allowed him to show it. Like every time, his face automatically placed all emotion behind a blank countenance of indifference.

Hogwarts wasn't lonely anymore. He was lucky! He had a friend: Alannah and he had Professor Potter.

'Or I did,' Tom thought to himself somberly, 'I showed him too much and alienated him. He probably hates me now, just like Professor Weasley and all the rest of them.'

Even though Tom's eyelids were heavy, the rest of his body still refused to fall asleep. He eventually resigned himself to his fate and allowed himself to lay awake as the long, long hours of the night slowly passed.

'Hopefully tomorrow will be... better.' Even as this hopeful thought crossed Tom's mind however, he instantly shot it down. Because he knew it wouldn't be.

"Malumis, still with us?"

Tom jolted awake. There was a chorus of sniggers around the classroom followed by hushed whispers. Tom glanced around before once again resting his chin on his hand. He was so tired. And bored.

He was currently in Transfiguration being taught by Professor Hermione Granger. He could care less for this class. Alannah wasn't even in it so he had no one to talk to. No one to talk to and nothing to do- this combined with Tom's lack of sleep where proving to be not very nice for him to deal with. Every single second Tom fought hard to not let himself succumb to sleep. And every time he would fail as his head and consciousness slowly sank down.