Bi vs Pan

(If there are any mistakes in this, please do tell me so that i can correct it! Also, if you want me to do a specific topic like this, i take requests <3 Not everything in these chapters are original sentences, as sometimes, someone else has already found the perfect way to explain and describe a thing or topic)

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE?

Bisexual can mean being attracted to the gender the same as your own, and to other genders. However, another definiton is that the individual is attracted to two or more genders, which do not exclusively have to be male and female, though for some people it can be.

A lot of people assume what Bi– which means two –sexual means is that bisexuals don't know non-binary people exist, or are never attracted to non-binary people, or completely discount trans people. That is of course not the case. Anyone who says otherwise may leave as i will not accept bi slander here.

While some people might use bi to mean they only like girls and boys, that isn't a universal definition. The definition may change from person to person, but it is always the attraction to two or more genders. The genders, of which, may vary.

Pansexual, however, means attracted to (or has the potential to be attracted to) people of all genders, binary or not.

Some people use the word pansexual to be specifically inclusive of trans people, but keep in mind that trans people aren't their own separate category. Because "trans" in and of itself isn't a gender. It's a descriptor of how you experience your gender. Trans men are men. Trans women are women. In reality it means "attracted to all genders" and that can include that you don't factor gender into whether you're attracted to someone at all.  Some pansexuals may call themselves genderblind.

Pan– Which means all –sexual is just an attraction to all genders. Whether it be no preference, seeing no gender, not caring about gender at all, or maybe not seeing gender as something that could ever factor into your attraction, it doesn't matter. It can change from person to person.

SO, HOW ARE THEY DIFFERENT?

Well, they don't have to be. You can identify as bi and pan (whether it be as a way for you to differentiate your romantic and sexual attraction, or any other reason), because they can definitely fit into a broadly similar definition (depending on YOUR experience of being bi or pan). But there are a few reasons why you might prefer one over the other. Either way, it is valid as long as you respect them. There will be no pan or bi slandering here. Same with omni and poly.

Bisexual, for starters, can mean you're attracted to same and other genders – but not all of them. You might be attracted to boys and non-binary people, girls and non-binary people, boys and girls, or a range of specific non-binary genders but not all of them. You might be attracted to any number of people with any number of different identities, and that's okay. You don't have to like everyone to be bi.

On top of that, bisexual has a long, long history. Holding onto the label of bisexual can be about remembering all the people like you who came before you, and aligning yourself with them as a community.

It can also be because you feel comfortable with the term bi. And that is valid and should be respected,

You might prefer pansexual, though, because it makes it obvious that you mean all genders. It makes it easier to communicate what your preferences are without getting specific, and makes it well known right from the start that you mean non-binary people and others under the umbrella term too. You might feel it describes you best.