Looking For An Answer- 6

The door creaked open slowly; green eyes steadily met black ones as he swiftly opened the wooden door further, letting her inside silently.

"Took you long enough to come running down here" he stated.

"I was busy" she replied shortly.

"What's wrong?" he questioned nonchalantly as he drank water, is if not concerned for her answer, but the curly-haired girl had somehow managed to worm her way into his heart.

She looked up at him demurely and said "Tell me how to cross the wall."

In all professionalism, Akhil spat out the water as he choked out "what!"

Immediately she told the man whom she considered as a family; everything that happened. She finished close to tears as she recalled how helpless she was last night. Akhil sighed "There is nothing we can do little raven, crossing the wall means you are signing your death sentence and I will not let you do that."

Niravi felt rage running through her veins "what is it with everyone caring if I live or not" she spat looking at him with desperation.

"Well if you die I will lose the little extra coins that I get girl" He lied as his voice took a dangerous tone. He would never admit that he grew to care for the young girl as a daughter.

Niravi scoffed "Fine. If you won't help me I will do it myself" and walked to the door.

"Do not step out that door" Akhil warned hand around her wrist as she twisted to look up at his eyes.

 "That is my sister we are talking about. I will not rest until I find a way to bring her back," she told him with determination.

Akhil stared at her for seconds, minutes or hours; Niravi could not tell, but he finally relented sighing "You will be the death of me raven. But don't expect me to come along with you, after all, who will write your eulogy at your funeral?" he smiled. Niravi grinned slightly as skipped towards the backless stool.

"First things first, do you know your way to the rivulet in the forest? Of course not because you haven't stepped that far into the forest in your life" he retorted as he brought out an old wrinkled paper with a quill and an almost empty bottle of ink. He drew the directions on it and marked the correct pathways towards the wall. He recalled as much as he could, drawing around the tricky areas allowing her to walk with as much ease as possible.

"There you go. I have drawn this path North from the old oak tree at the edge of the forest, beside a cut tree. Follow this and you will reach the wall in three days max." he said reluctantly.

"Thank you Akhil," she said with gratitude as she leaned forward and hugged him. "Come back alive sweetheart, because if you don't I will bring you back from the dead just to murder you again," he whispered.
He took out a few of his most trusted daggers and gave them to her a silent warning to stay alert at all times.

"Thirsty?" he questioned as he poured more water into a wooden cup. 

"Yes please," she replied. Both sat in comfortable silence watching the sunrise, taking warmth from each other's hearts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Niravi reached back to the cottage around noon. She saw her father and sister sitting around eating lunch. She wordlessly joined them eating from the plate that was left for her. As Niravi was drinking water from her cup, a loud knock was heard causing Nesta and Niravi to stiffen; Niravi opened the door carefully; her hand close to the dagger.

A man dressed in rich robes stood in front of her, a small smile on his face, "Is this Mr Acheron, the merchant's house?" he questioned.

Niravi raised an eyebrow as she replied yes. "May I please come in? I have an offer to make to your father". She wordlessly allowed him to enter.

"Mr Acheron, we merchants have heard great tales of your escapades," he said. "A huge offer has come by and I want to offer you to invest; after all, you had transported all sorts of items ranging from clothes, spices, wood and gold. Our ships are leaving to the Queen's land, and we are hoping that you will comply."

"He has no money to invest," Nesta said coldly, "we have nothing to give."

The merchant just laughed "oh no no-no. You don't need to give anything; all you need to do is manage the records of the shippings and tell us the best sea routes you had taken of course. If it becomes a success you will get two-fifths of the profit. Lord knows you need it" he said looking around their dilapidating house. "and also for your daughter's dowry as well" he added.

Nesta and Niravi shared a look. It looked too good to be true, why would a merchant come to their poverty-stricken home offering a deal when there are soo many other richer men willing to flaunt their money?

By the time both of them looked back at the scene, Mr Acheron was already shaking the merchant's hand. Elain looked positively glowing with happiness.

"Tom! Harvey!" The merchant yelled, "Bring in the chest"; and before they knew it two young men were carrying a heavy wooden chest inside their hovel. The merchant in red robes opened it and the whole of the Acheron could not help but gasp with shock; the whole thing was filled with gold coins as it reflected the sunlight from the window, shining like diamonds.

"There, this is the advance for your information Mr Acheron, once a word has reached that the ships have sailed safely, you will get the remaining profit. Right then I am off, will see you later Mr Acheron. Come on boys." he said as he walked out and vanished away in his carriage.

The Acheron's, could not comprehend what happened in the last few minutes. All of their eyes were caught on the gold in the wooden chest, Only after Elain squealed with joy, babbling about how this was a turning point for the family, did Nesta and Niravi shake themselves out of their shock.

Nesta nodded to Elain, walking away to put away the dishes; but not before she asked Niravi quietly "When are you leaving?" 

"Day after; before dawn."

"How long will it be till you are back?"

"Not more than a week, I hope" Niravi replied calmly, hiding the panic in her voice.

"Take the remaining venison left, with the gold we have oh so graciously received will be enough while you are gone" Nesta recommended as she walked away without another glance

Tomorrow she will head off, Niravi thought with determination; hoping that she can somehow bring her sister back in one piece, fixing their family again.

A/N

Sorry about this chapter. I was finding it difficult to put my thoughts into words. I promise that the best chapter will be better, bear with me please.

In the future chapters I will write about her relationship with Algol and how the Acheron family fared with the incoming gold, as well as about Elain's engagement.

Hope you all are having wonderful holidays. Thanks for reading.