Chapter 4 kind-hearted brother

(Third person)

The next morning someone knocks on the door.

'This is the first time someone bothers to knock.' Zeiyrin thinks as she walks to open the door. The person who knocked turned out to be Wu Zihe who smiled brightly at her and is holding a picnic basket with his left hand. "Long time no see Susu. I hope you are alright. I'm sorry that I was not able to greet you yesterday." He says as he pats her head. "May I come in, I have some pastries for you and a present." He says and Zeiyrin nods as she leads space for him to walk in. Zeiyrin closes the door and Wu Zihe notices the broken table and burned scourge marks on the floor. He looks coldly at it and asks "What happened to the floor and table?"

"Oh, cousin Wu Mao broke it and put it on fire as a game." She says with an innocent smile. "What sort of game?" He asks. "She wanted me to go stand in the fire but unexpectedly she fell inside herself." She answers as Wu Zihe clenches his right hand.

'That bastard.' He thinks before he turns to face Wu Su. He holds her shoulder with his free hand and looks her in her eyes with a serious expression. "Listen, I know you think that your cousins are kind to you but I think you should try to avoid playing with them as much as possible." He says and Zeiyrin pretends to be confused. "Why do you say that, could it be that they said mean things to you brother?" She asks.

"... Yes they don't like me and because we are close they may hurt you too." He lies and Zeiyrin nods as she notices what he is trying to do. 'No wonder Wu Su likes him, I have never been treated so kindly before. Too bad that he is talking to the wrong person.' She thinks. "Now let's sit on the bead so that I can give you your pastries and gift." He says as he walks towards the bead and sits "Alright." Zeiyrin says with a happy smile and does what he says. 'I have not had something decent to eat since I was reborn I am looking forward to it.' He then gives her a red bean bun and an Aiwowo. She eats it happily as she enjoys the flavor of the pastries as if she has never eaten something like this for years. He smiles at her with a kind gaze as he picks up her present. The present is wrapped in a pretty red cloth and is tied with a white ribbon.

Once she is gone eating he gives the gift to her and she opens it. It turned out to be a tiger stuffed animal. It looks very expensive but Wu Su is originally considered too old for a stuffed animal and Zeiyrin definitely is. Though she does think it is cute as le loves felines but in her current situation she wished he gave her something more practical like clothes or food that can be easily stored for a long time. But as Wu Su would most definitely be happy with this gift Zeiyrin decides to thank him with a bright and childish smile. He responds with a kind smile as he pats her head again. 'He sure likes to pat Su Wu's head.' Zeiyrin thinks of hiding not knowing what to do as she has never been treated this lovingly before and has most definitely not been patted on the head before. So she hides her embarrassment with her smile. "It seems that you like it. I bought it thinking that it would help you feel less lonely when I am out cultivating. I am glad you like it. He says as he thinks that that stuffed animal suits her and it is almost as cute as the person to who he gifted it. 'So that's the reason... he favors Wu Su a lot.' Zeiyrin thinks as she finally decides that he most definitely would not have any alternatives towards Wu Su as his eyes don't lie. He genuinely treats her like her little sister even though Wu Su is two years older than him. 'I have decided, once after the banquet I will let him meet the spirit of the real Wu Su and explain the situation. He may react badly but it is too cruel for all people involved if I don't do it. I have unexpectedly gone a little soft in these last weeks. Maybe being out of my element can make someone a little different even in less of a month?' She wonders and then asks "When can I see you next time?"

"Oh, the elder needs my help to prepare for the banquet, everyone in the family is needed for the preparations, even the servants. So I don't think anyone will have time to come visit you. Some preserved foods in the picnic bag will last until the banquet. I would like to give you food every day but it may cause you trouble if I help you too much... I'm sorry even though I want to help you live comfortably, being adopted by the elder may give me a lot of benefits but I have no real power over family matters. It can only happen if I take over the position as clan leader." He says as he hides his frustration. "So does that mean we can meet after the banquet?" Zeiyrin asks.

"Well we will see each other at the banquet but if you want to meet me alone without the rest of the family I can do that in the morning the next day." He says caringly.

"Then... that's a promise?" Zeiyrin asks with cute puppy-like eyes. He laughs at her cuteness and says. " I promise." While they do a pinky swear. 'Good, the day is set and the news that everyone will be busy is good news as well. I might even be able to go outside without anyone noticing that I am gone.' Zeiyrin thinks about what to do during these five days before the banquet. "Well I will be leaving now, I have things I need to do." He says and pats her head for one last time before he walks out, also leaving the picnic basket in her bead. Once he is gone she looks inside the basket and sees 1 cane of pickled eggs, 2 cans of pickled tofu, one pack of dried chicken, 2 packs of dried fish, and 4 cans of mixed pickled vegetables. She looks at it happily as she does not require to forage in the garden for the time being and can fully focus on cultivating and strengthening her body. She then puts them away inside the empty cupboard in her room.