Chapter 14: After the Fog Has Lifted

CLARKE, WELLS, AND I WERE SITTING ON the leather couch situated in the Chancellors room

CLARKE, WELLS, AND I WERE SITTING ON the leather couch situated in the Chancellors room. We agreed to watch a pre-recorded football match from Earth that Wells had simply insisted on.

Apparently, before the war on Earth, people used to enjoy watching other people try to make a ball into a goal area. I agreed only because Wells said we could place bets on who would win. Clarke pointed out that the game had already happened, and the winner was already predestined, but that didn't take the fun out of it for us.

"So, what's the bet this time?" Clarke mused.

I smirked looking at Wells. "If my team wins then he has to–"

"Kate!" Wells' eyes widen. He shook his head feverishly.

Clarke frowned looking between the two of us in confusion. She narrowed her eyes in suspicion. "Oh come on! It can't be worse than having to announce her arrival in every room for a week or carrying her around the Ark for an entire day. Unless it's some weird couple thing, in which case I don't want to know the details."

I laugh, wiggling my eyebrows at Wells suggestively. He groaned in annoyance and buried his face in the pillow on his lap. I gave Clarke a mischievous smile. "Something like that." 

Clarke stuck her tongue out in mock disgust. "You guys are gross."

The real bet was that if my team won Wells would tell Clarke the truth about his feelings for her. If he won, then he wouldn't have to do that, and I had to wear a ridiculous sign that says 'Wells Jaha's is better than me' for a week.

Sensing that the dangerous conversation was over, Wells straightened back up and shot me a deadly glare. I nudged him playfully on the shoulder before leaning my head on him. We continued to watch the game, with my team dominating the field.

Again, my team scored.

I shot up from the couch, throwing my hands in the air and letting out a loud, cheerful holler. Clarke looked at me with amusement and Wells seemed extremely nervous.

Abby and Jake Griffin were conversing with Thelonious Jaha in a table situated at the corner of the room and looked over at us at the sound of the commotion.

"I don't know why you bet against her, Wells." Jake smiled at my bestfriend.

Wells grumbled. "I don't know either."

"Take it as a lesson son," Jake takes Abby's hand in his. "Women always know better."

I jumped back down next to Wells excitedly. He let out an uneasy breath at the prospect of having to go through with the bet. I took his hand in mine and gave him a small squeeze to let him know that no matter what happened I would still be there for him.