Chapter 32

WHEN I OPEN MY EYES, A SPLITTING headache erupts through my temples

WHEN I OPEN MY EYES, A SPLITTING headache erupts through my temples. I was sure after the amount of times I had gotten hit in the head lately that I was probably suffering from a bad concussion. I try to cradle my head and shield myself from the light but I'm met with resistance. Chains rattled and metal cuffs dug into my wrists. I was chained to a stone wall.

The only light source in the dim room was coming from a lit up torch in the far corner. The ceiling was low, indicating that we were likely in some underground structure. Bones and torn fabrics littered the ground. My panic instinct kick in and I yank hard against the chains constraining me, but it was no use. I stand up and face the wall, trying to see if I could break free from another angle.

"Careful," I hear someone drawl behind me.

I whip around, coming face to face with a Grounder. My throat seizes shut and my eyes widen. I hadn't noticed him in my initial sweep of the room. Where the hell did he come from? And who the hell was he? This grounder towers over me by several feet, his stature alone was enough to make me take an automatic, trembling step back. Menacing. Everything about this guy was meant to invoke terror.

"You were right, sky boy. This one has some spirit. Most start begging by now."

That's when I notice Sebastian. He cocks his head at me beside the Grounder, a sadistic smirk on his face as he stares at me coldly.

"You." I spit, lunging forward at the sight of him. The chains prevent me from reaching him, instead they just dig into my skin as I strain forward.

"Remember our deal." Sebastian looks at the Grounder. "You get all the information you'd like from her and then the kill is mine."

My stomach drops at his words.

The Grounder rolls his eyes dismissively. "Yes, sky boy. I am aware of the terms that you and Anya agreed to."

Sebastian approaches me, though not close enough that I could grab him, the darkness in his eyes was chilling but I hold on to my glare. "Why?" I ask. I hated how even that question broke.

"Oh, don't look so surprised at my betrayal." He scoffs, a creepy smile spreading across his face. "I used you just like you used me."

I grind my teeth together. "Why are you doing this?" I scream in outrage.

"Why..." Sebastian drawls. "Of course, you don't know that's how little you care about what you did. You killed her, you selfish bitch. You killed my mother."

"What... what are you talking about? No! You said she committed suicide."

"No, you killed my mother!" He snaps, losing control for a second before smirking down at the ground to regain his composure. "That day that you released the black box recording of your mother's death, you didn't stop to think about the damage it would do. How hearing death would drive those on the brink of it to attempt to take their own life. Cause you see, Katherine, you planted an idea in my mother's head that day. She already wanted to die but you pushed her off the edge. And then you said you wouldn't take it back. I asked you the first day we met and you didn't even feel remorse for what you did."