Chapter 33: a smile so freeing

THE RIDE WAS AGONIZING BOTH BECAUSE of how long it felt and how much my body hurt

THE RIDE WAS AGONIZING BOTH BECAUSE of how long it felt and how much my body hurt. The Grounder insisted on taking a longer detour to ensure that we wouldn't be followed. But, as smart as that was and logical as it sounded for our safety, it meant I was giving Sebastian the advantage. The sun was beginning to break through the trees and light the sky with warm orange hues. An ominously beautiful sign that time was running out.

"KAT?!" I hear the familiar voices of my friends yell through the forest. "KAT?!"

The grounder slows his horse before coming to a full stop. "This is as far as I can take you. I cannot risk your friends seeing me."

"You saved my life—twice. I wouldn't let them hurt you."

The light spilling in from the canopy of the trees allowed me to get a better look at the grounder's face. His eyes were a pristine blue, his hair sandy blonde filled with curls that fell around his face. He wasn't wearing the face paint I had seen on him that day in the woods when I first encountered him. Now he looked a lot less rugged than he did then.

The grounder clears his throat uncomfortably—I guess I was staring for a little too long. I blush, looking away in embarrassment.

"Your friends voices are coming from that direction. Which is also the direction of your camp."

I nod, following his finger due north. He jumps off of his horse first to help me down. This time the grimace of pain was obvious on my face. He hands me a set of knives and then drops to his knees in front of me. He stares up at me, his blue eyes piercing into me as he slid another jagged knife into my boot— exactly where I would normally keep it. Something about the way he stared up at me, made my stomach flutter.

"What's your name?" I ask, before he could turn to leave.

In the distance I hear my friends shouts growing closer.

The grounder climbs back on his horse. "Taron."

My lips twitch into a small smile before he disappears into the forest.

Left alone, I was suddenly extremely aware of how weak I really was. My legs ache, blood seeped through every inch of my clothing— that is what was left of my clothing. I had bruises and cuts everywhere that made it impossible not to feel like my body was burning as I walked.

The bruise on my rib made it particularly painful to breathe. The gash down my abdomen made it painful to engage my core or walk straight. Nevertheless, I fought against the pain and staggered toward the voices of my friends. I wanted to shout, but I could barely bring my voice above a normal decibel.

After what felt like an eternity of walking, I leant up against a tree feeling utterly defeated. I felt hopeless that I was ever going to reach them. I was just too weak.

"Kat!"

The voices were still so far away. I forced myself to continue, even if all my body wanted to do was collapse. My hands and legs were shaking, begging me to stop.