Chapter 43

"COME ON! THESE FOXHOLES AREN'T GONNA build themselves

"COME ON! THESE FOXHOLES AREN'T GONNA build themselves." Bellamy booms. He walks over to where Raven and I were setting up the minefield. "Better hope those landmines work. All the gunpowder we're wasting, we could be making more grenades."

I grind my teeth in irritation but continue to work. Raven, however, couldn't keep her mouth shut. "You want to come over here and test one?"

"Cute." He shoots back at her. The comment bothers me and makes me uncomfortable. I shove the dirt on top of the bomb more aggressively. Bellamy pretends not to notice. "I need this entire section mined by morning. Then you finish the south field."

That comment set me off. I shoot up from my position and glare squarely at Bellamy. "I told you we're going after Clarke, Finn, and Monty in the morning."

Bellamy shakes his head. "I told you nobody leaves this camp."

"Then I'll go alone." I shout at his retreating figure.

He turns around to face me, this time it was his turn to glare. "You are part of the nobody leaves this camp rule, angel."

The old nickname makes my stomach flip. My hands ball into fist to stop myself from slapping him. What happened to the Bellamy I spent the last weeks with? A gunshot rings out through the forest interrupting our tense moment. Everyone gasps at the sudden loud and unexpected sound. We both break our eye contact to turn and look at the source. We notice Sterling scrambling to his feet startled by his own gun going off.

"Hey!" Bellamy calls angrily to him. He marches over to Sterling's post with with arms outstretched threateningly. "What the hell is the matter with you?"

"I'm sorry, man. I feel asleep. I've been on watch all day," Sterling stammers.

Bellamy grabs Sterling by the shirt, roughly pushing him against the tree. "We've all been on watch all day! That bullet was one less dead grounder." He roars.

Sterling was practically shaking underneath Bellamy's death glare. I grab Bellamy's shoulder and push him back roughly. "What is your problem?" I seethe.

Bellamy takes a step toward me menacingly. I didn't back down. We were now chest to chest glaring at each other. "What, Katherine?" He spits. "Come to defend your hunting partner?"

My jaw clenches. What does that have to do with anything?

"Bell, you're scaring people," Octavia says.

"They should be scared. The bomb on the bridge bought us some time to prepare, but that time is up! The grounders are out there right now, waiting for us to leave and picking us off one by one when we do! Clarke, Finn, and Monty are gone, probably dead, and if you want to be next, I can't stop you,"–His glare shifts back on me– "but no guns are leaving this camp! This camp is the only thing keeping us alive! Get back to work!"