Chapter 44

IT FELT LIKE HAD HOURS PASSED before Jasper finally stirred awake

IT FELT LIKE HAD HOURS PASSED before Jasper finally stirred awake. The sight of his saggy hair swaying back and forth sent a flood of relief through my body. I was worried that the blow Murphy gave him might have killed him. Jasper looks over to me his eyes wide and screams, but they were muffled by the gag in his mouth.

I shake my head at him, trying to tell him to stay calm. I was trying to reassure him that everything was going to be okay. Even if I wasn't sure I believed that myself. Truth was that I was absolutely terrified. Murphy appeared completely unhinged and I couldn't think of any way that we're getting out of this.

"Murphy! Murphy, if you even touch Jasper, I swear to God, you're dead!" Octavia's threat comes through the radio.

Murphy scoffs and rolls his eyes. He continues pacing back and forth. It seemed that he didn't really know what his plan was. This situation clearly quickly escalated out of his control. What the endgame was for him? I wasn't sure.

"Murphy, I know you can hear me." At the sound of Bellamy's voice, Murphy picks up the radio with piqued interest. "All our ammo and food is in the second level. You know that. You're leaving us vulnerable to an attack. I can't let that happen."

"Yeah, well, in case you haven't noticed, you're not exactly in control right now."

"Come on, Murphy. You don't want to hurt Jasper. You want to hurt me. So what do you say? How about you trade him for me?" Bellamy says.

I scream at Bellamy that he was nuts, but it was no use, he couldn't hear me. He didn't even know I was here.

Bellamy continues, "All you have to do is let him go, and I'll take his place."

Murphy considers it. "How?"

There was a pause. "Simple. You open the door, I walk in, he walks out."

I continue to scream at Bellamy, hoping that he was listening and could somewhat hear my protests. I was beginning to feel the absolute fear of seeing Bellamy tied up here as well consume me. I couldn't hear the thought. The look on Murphy's face sent chills down my spine. This was what he wanted. He said his revenge wasn't over. And now it was clear his revenge ended with Bellamy.

Murphy forces Jasper to his feet. He pushes him towards the dropship door. Jasper shoots me a panicked look.

"Don't look at her," Murphy hisses. "Look forward and keep walking."

Murphy pulls the lever slightly and the door creaks. He brings the radio up to his mouth. "Just you, Bellamy, unarmed."

There was a long pause.

"10 seconds, or I'll put one in Jasper's leg. One... Two... Three... Four... Five..."

"I'm here!" Bellamy says, as he enters through door.