Chapter 27: Reliving

I HAD STAYED NESTLED INTO SEBASTIAN'S SIDE ALL NIGHT

I ended up falling asleep beside Sebastian as I watched him sleep. Guilt made me stay by his side all night. Somehow I had rolled over sometime in the middle of the night, and ended up with half of my body draped on top of him. He stirs slightly beneath me and my eyes flutter open. I rise my head, my cheeks flushing in embarrassment. His brown eyes stare down at me with amusement.

"You're awake." I mutter gently, beginning to adjust myself off of him but he grabs my thigh to keep it in place.

He shrugs slightly, a smirk on his lips. "Yeah I felt drool seeping through my shirt."

"Whoops." I wipe my mouth which makes him burst out laughing. I playfully slap his chest. "Jerk."

Sebastian pushes a strand of my hair back, taking a moment to analyze my features. "I'm sorry if I scared you off earlier. If you don't feel—"

I crash my lips onto his, effectively making him shut up. It didn't take long for him to respond to my kiss, his hands lacing at the back of my neck as he pulls me slightly closer to him. We break apart for a breath. "I hope that answers your question," I say sort of breathlessly.

"So we are friends?" His signature sheepish smile back on his lips, as he draws my face just centimeters from his. "With benefits?"

"You are such a jerk." I laugh as I lean in to kiss him again.

Sebastian was what I needed.

I didn't know exactly what I needed was but I knew that he was it. He had to be. He made me forget about everything within the seconds that I was around him. About the death that awaited us outside the camp walls. About my father and the Ark. About Bellamy Blake.

Nobody said feelings came right away. Feelings could come later, right now I enjoyed his company and what he offered me and that's all that mattered. Sebastian is someone I could love and right now that was enough.

We stayed in each other's arms for a while before I sighed heavily. Realizing that reality awaited us outside his tent. Sebastian plays with my curls, whispering, "I know what you're thinking. We need to go outside. Survive another day."

I sink into his chest. "I don't want to."

"Then don't. Let's stay in. Maybe we could go for a walk later away from everyone."

I turn to look at his face. There was no amusement or hint of teasing in his sharp features. He was serious about his offer. To just forget the camp and escape for a while. How was he so carefree? As tempting as it was, I already felt guilty enough for spending hours in this tent this morning. I smile at him after a moment before sitting up. "I have to go. Who else is going to catch dinner for everybody?"

He places his hand on the curvature of my jaw. "I think they'll manage without you for one day, Katherine." He pulls me lightly back down to his chest.

Isn't this what I wanted from him? To forget?