Chapter 30: Whispers

I LOOK DOWN AT MY FEET, FEELING LIKE the world was closing in on me

I LOOK DOWN AT MY FEET, FEELING LIKE the world was closing in on me. I had begun to think that I could trust Bellamy over the past few days. After all, what that I said was true, he was the main reason the majority of us were alive.

Determined to talk him out of it, I begin to follow him out of the depot but with each step I took it was becoming increasingly harder to breathe. My headache intensified and made my vision erupt in black stars. Maybe the thin dusty air in this bunker was finally getting to me.

The edges of my vision were becoming fuzzy and it felt like I was suddenly standing on uneven ground. The walls began to shift slowly to the left. I stumble forward onto my hands and knees to move with them. Unsteady even then, I feel myself fall forward onto the cold hard ground.

"Kate," A voice whispers from behind me.

No one calls me that. Except...And that voice...

I turn my head to look at the source but the action felt agonizingly slow. My breath catches in my throat when I realize who was standing before me. It wasn't possible... "Wells?"

My best friend walks slowly toward me before crouching down beside my head. "Hi, Kate." He cocks his head to one side as he examines me in the state I was. Shame flushes through me as I lay sprawled out before him. Wells juts his chin toward my neck. "I see Bellamy Blake gave you my necklace."

I reach for the necklace but the metal twists around itself. I gasp, dropping it from my hands and looking up at Wells with wide eyes. But he looks so unfazed and so... normal.  My eyes go to his fingers which were curled in. "Wait, how are you here?" I ask, my throat felt tight and my voice strained.

Wells' expression shifts. He suddenly looks down at me with sorrow-filled eyes. "You mean because I'm dead?" He replies in a cold, emotionless tone. "Because didn't you protect me, Kate? You promised me you would protect me."

"What?" I feel breathless.

"Truth is you can't protect anybody you love." He reaches up to touch his neck and when he pulls his hand away a large slit starts oozing bright red blood.

"Wells! I cry in horror as he chokes in his own blood. "No! No! No! I'm so sorry!"

"I told you to do what was best for the 100... for our people." A new voice joins the conversation. My father comes to stand beside Wells, a disappointed look on his face as he glowers down at me. Hate, his face was contorted in pure hatred for me. For what I was. "Is this what's best for our people? For them to die?"

I shake my head, feeling hot tears escape my eyes. "No. It's just so hard, dad. How do I—how do I save everyone?"

My father lets out a sigh of disappointment, his face settling on that cold Councillor facade. I know what he wanted to tell me. The Ark's methods may have seemed ruthless to me but they were necessary. After all, they had managed to keep the human race alive for 97 years. He had to make many sacrifices along the way, including sacrificing some of the people he loved but at the end of the day saving the human race was all that mattered. Surviving was all that mattered.