Family Emergency (Ian)

The day had started like any other day. You walked to school with Ian, met up with your friends, and went on your way to class. You were sitting in fifth period, passing notes with Avery, when you saw your aunt walk into your classroom with a note. Avery gave you a concerned look as you watched your aunt give the teacher the note then motioned for you to follow her. You felt like something was clutching your chest as you quickly shoved your things into your backpack. If your aunt was pulling you out of class, you knew something had to be wrong, and it was. As you followed your aunt out of the school she explained that your sister was packing a bag for both of you because you had to rush back to New Urban. Your grandma had had a stroke and shortly after being admitted to the hospital, they had told your third oldest brother that she needed a pacemaker put in. You cried as your aunt explained what was happening, what-ifs filling your head as your mind began to race. 

Your phone began to ring as you and your aunt got back to your house. 

“(Name)!” Ian’s voice came from the speaker, “What’s going on? Avery said your aunt pulled you out of class?”

“Ian,” Your voice cracked as you cried, “Grandma had a stroke. They say she needs a pacemaker put in.”

You heard Ian gasp from the other line, “Oh, love, I’m so sorry!”

Ian wanted to hold you, to comfort you, and let you know it was going to be okay. That was hard to do over the phone though. 

You felt a large hand on your shoulder and looked up to see Barley. 

“It’s gonna be okay.” Barley said, gently squeezing your shoulder, “Let me talk to Ian. Why don’t you go check your bag to make sure (Sister) got everything you need.”

“O-okay.” You sniffed handing the phone to Barley. 

“Love?” Ian questioned, wondering if he really did hear Barley. 

“It’s me,” Barley said, “I’m gonna drive them up to New Urban.”

“Did you talk to mom?” Ian asked. 

“Yeah,” Barley said, “Mom’s going to pick you up after school then meet us at the hospital.” 

“Okay.” Ian said, relieved he was going to be able to be with you later, “Is their grandma going to be okay?”

“Honestly?” Barley said, looking to make sure you weren’t able to hear him, “It doesn’t look good, Ian. All we can do is hope it gets better.”

“Yeah,” Ian sighed, “Thanks for taking them up there.”

“Yeah, of course.” Barley replied, “If (Name) doesn’t call you when we get there, I will.”

“Thanks.” Ian said. 

They said their goodbyes, leaving Ian to wonder if things would be okay.

“Is everything okay?” Gabby asked. 

It was lunch time now and all of your friends had gathered around Ian to make sure you were okay. Ian explained what was happening and spent the rest of the day watching the clock until the final bell rang. 

Ian quickly made his way to the front of the school, looking for Laurel’s car. A horn honking caught his attention. He saw his mom waving from the driver door and he quickly rushed to the car. 

“Have you heard anything?” Ian asked. 

“They got to New Urban about half an hour ago.” Laurel replied, “It sounds like their grandma’s in surgery now.” 

“Is she going to be okay?” Ian asked. 

Laurel paused, unsure of what to say at first, “The doctors are going to do everything they can. All we can do is hope for the best.”