When he misses you

Ian:

Ian glanced to your empty desk and let out a small sigh. It had been a week since you had been in class. You weren’t sick or anything, just out visiting your grandma in New Urban. She had broken her arm and you, your sister, and aunt were staying with her to make sure she was okay. You and Ian still talked and texted while you were away, but it wasn’t the same. You also didn’t text when you knew he was at school. 

“You miss your buddy huh?” A familiar voice said from Ian’s other side. 

He turned to see Gorgamon staring at him, “Oh, uh, y-yeah.”

“So what’s the deal with you two?” Gorgamon asked.

“D-deal?” Ian asked, giving the troll a questioning look.

“Yeah,” He replied, “Like are you two dating or what?” 

“Uh, n-no, w-we’re not dating.” Ian replied, not liking where this conversation was going.

“Do you want to date her?” Gorgamon asked.

Ian felt the heat rise to his cheeks as he tried to reply, but only managed to stammer, earning a small chuckle from Gorgamon.

“I’m going to take that as a yes.” The troll smirked.

“W-why do you ask?” Ian asked.

“Well, I was going to ask her out, but if you two were already going out I wasn’t going to.” Gorgamon said.

“O-oh.” Ian was afraid that was where the conversation was going. 

He didn’t think you even felt that way about Gorgamon, but the thought of you being with someone else made his chest hurt. It wasn’t like he could tell Gorgamon not to try, that choice was up to you after all.

“Don’t worry dude,” Gorgamon said, “I won’t ask her out.”

“Huh?” Ian gave him a confused look.

“You obviously like her, plus you two are always together.” Gorgamon said, “I’d say you have a better chance with her anyways.”

“Um, th-thank you?” Ian said, not really knowing how to reply. Was Gorgamon really encouraging him to ask you out?

Later that night, you still hadn’t called or text. Ian was starting to wonder if everything was okay when his phone began to chirp. He quickly pulled his phone from his pocket, seeing it was a request for a video chat.

“Hey!” He answered before seeing it was your older sister he was talking to.

“Hey Ian!” Your sister smiled, “I figured you might be missing my stubborn little sister, so I’m going to surprise her with a video call from you.”

“What?” Ian laughed.

“She doesn’t want to bug you with calling when you guys have finals coming up.” Your sister said, “Something about you’re probably going to be busy studying, so she doesn’t want to bother you.”

“(Name) could never bother me.” Ian said.

“That’s what I said!” 

“Who are you talking to?” Your voice came from off screen.

“Say hi to Barley for me.” Your sister said before tossing the phone to you.

Ian watched the background spin and readjust until your face came onto the screen.

“Hi (name).” Ian smiled.

“Ian!” You grinned, “I thought you’d be studying.”

“It probably wouldn’t hurt to study,” Ian said, “But I… I miss you.”

You smiled, watching a small blush creep across the elf’s cheeks as he glanced away from the screen.

“I miss you too.”

Barley:

“If you’re gonna get me addicted you have my permission. I think I know how these things go.” The song played over the radio of the small shop. “If you’re gonna mess me up, don’t do it slow.”

Barley groaned letting his forehead drop against the counter top. Jonny looked to him with a concerned glance. It was a slow day in the shop, barely any customers had come in which led to Barley thinking about you.

“You okay?” Jonny asked.

“Why’d you have to point out I have a crush?” Barley asked, not lifting his head from the counter.

Jonny burst into laughter, “Bro, it’s your head. How’d you not know?”

“I dunno.” Barley said, turning to him, “I was just having fun being with her.”

“Now that she’s gone you don’t know what to do with yourself, huh?” Jonny snickered.

You had been gone for a week, visiting your grandma in New Urban. It was still going to be another week before you would be back. Barley had gotten so used to hanging out with you on a nearly daily basis, he honestly didn’t know what to do without you. He let out another groan as he sat back on his stool. 

“I don’t remember crushes being like this.” He said.

“You really got it bad, don’t you?” Jonny asked, “When was the last time you had a crush? It wasn’t Ebyon was it?”

Ebyon was a girlfriend of Barley’s back when they were in high school. Although she was an ex now, that was still three years ago. 

“Yeah, it was.” Barley admitted. 

“Oh wow!” Jonny paused, “I guess that’s part of being demisexual though, huh?”

“I dunno.” Barley sighed, “I wanna text her, but what if I’m texting too much and she gets annoyed?” 

“Dude, I think she’d tell you if you were texting too much.” Jonny said.

Before Barley could reply, an 8-bit melody chimed from his pocket. He looked to see he had a text from your little sister. Jonny noticed Barley’s confused expression and peeked over his shoulder.

“(Name)’s sister text you?” Jonny asked.

“Yeah, it’s usually Ian she texts.” Barley said, opening the text to see it was a short video she had sent. 

“Hey Bar!” Your sister waved, talking loudly over the music in the background, “(Name) doesn’t know I’m sending this, but I figured you may be missing her too since she’s been missing you like crazy! I wish I could have recorded this sooner, but she dedicated this song to you!” 

“Song?” Barley and Jonny questioned in unison as they watched the camera flip around in the video.

There you were on a small stage, front and center with a small band, singing loudly as the crowd clapped along with the song. The drums kept time as the guitar built the energy higher and higher. 

“Just wanna be, I wanna be with you in the moonlight.” You sang, “Just wanna be, wanna be with you all night.”

Barley instantly recognized the song, it was one you two listened to all the time when he’d be driving around.

Jonny pat Barley’s shoulder, a wide grin spreading on his face, “I think it’s safe to say you’re not annoying her with texts.”