Date Night After School

"U Ok?" Winston slid the paper across the desk to Ian.
"Yeah, just thinking about me and (Name)." Ian replied, sliding the paper back to the large troll.
Both teens were sitting in the front row of their history class as the teacher paced around the room giving his lecture.
"I thought things were good between u both?" Winston gave him a concerned look as he passed the note back.
"Oh they are. I was thinking of telling her I love her." Ian wrote before passing the note back.
Winston glanced over the note, a wide smile spreading on his face as he wrote back, "That's awesome! U two haven't said it before tho?"
"Not yet. I'm actually kind of nervous about it. I know she cares, but what if she's not there yet?" Ian wrote.
As Winston took the note, a large hand reached between the two of them, snatching the note away. To the teens horror, Mr. Benson had claimed their note as he gave them both a stern look.
"And what's more important than this lecture gentlemen?" The teacher asked.
"N-nothing sir." Ian stuttered.
"Nothing hm?" Mr. Benson said with a growl, "If it's nothing then I'm sure you wouldn't mind if I read it to the class?"
"No!" Both teens exclaimed as Ian's face turned several shades of red.
Mr. Benson looked over the note as he made his way to the chalkboard. Ian sank into his chair, feeling as if his heart was going to pop out of his chest. Mr. Benson cleared his throat, grabbing a piece of chalk as he wrote across the board, 'We have nothing to fear but fear itself.'
"Mr. Lightfoot, perhaps you can tell us who said these words?" Mr. Benson asked, balling up the piece of paper.
"I-it was Franklin D. Roosevelt, sir." Ian said.
"Correct." Mr. Benson said, throwing the note back to him, "Next time I catch you passing notes I will read it aloud."
"Y-yes sir." Ian replied, a wave of relief washing over him as he stuffed the note into his backpack.
~~~
When class let out, Ian let out a heavy sigh.
"Sorry about the note." Winston said.
"It's fine." Ian said as he slung his bag over his shoulder, "I'm just glad Mr. Benson didn't really read it out loud."
"No kidding." Winston replied, "So what are you going to do?"
"I'm not sure." Ian said, "I mean, I know she likes me a lot, but... I don't know, I don't want to say it if she's not ready, but I won't know if she's ready unless I do say it."
"I think you may be overthinking this." Winston chuckled, "Why not just go with the flow? Just say it whenever it feels natural?"
"I guess." Ian said, feeling his cheeks heat up as he thought more about it.
"You want to be all romantic about it, don't you?" Winston grinned.
"Maybe..." Ian muttered as he looked away.
"You two are adorable, you know that." Winston said as he laughed, "I'm telling you, when people say 'couple goals' they're talking about you two."
"Come on," Ian laughed, "Who says that?"
"Seriously," Winston said, "It's what, a couple weeks till school's out and you two have been together like, how long again?"
"About half a year." Ian said with a smile.
"See! Longest relationship I've had only lasted a couple months." Winston said, "Let me guess, you guys already have plans for this summer don't you?"
"Actually, (Name) and her sister invited me, Barley, and mom to come to their family reunion." Ian said.
"Oh yeah!" Winston said, "I forgot you're brother's dating her sister too, huh? That's great though! This is what I'm talking about! If she's wanting to introduce you to her family then don't you think she's getting serious about all this?"
"I guess so." Ian said, his smile spreading wider, "Yeah, yeah you're right! Maybe it's not too soon then."
"Too soon for what?" You asked as you and Avery walked up to them.
"Nothing!" Ian said, his face turning bright red.
Winston burst into laughter, Ian quickly shushing him as you and Avery exchanged confused looks.
"Okay," Avery said as they changed the topic, "Are you guys doing anything tonight? Since it's Friday my mom said you all could come over."
"Yeah, sure." Winston said with a nod.
"(Name) and I were actually going to watch a couple movies at my place tonight." Ian said, turning to you, "If you're still up for that, I mean."
"Heck yeah!" You grinned.
"Aww, date night?" Avery asked.
You nodded with a smile, "Yup! We're gonna grab some snacks on the way to Ian's and order pizza!"
"Gee, that sounds pretty romantic if you ask me." Winston said with a teasing grin as he playfully nudged Ian.
Again, Ian's face rivaled a tomato as he quietly hissed, "Really?!"
You gave him a confused look before turning to Avery, who just shrugged. The bell rang, drawing you attention before you all said your goodbyes. Ian took your hand as he walked you to your last class.
"Are you sure everythings okay?" You asked, giving him a concerned look as you traced your thumb over his.
"Oh, yeah. I think I'm just still a little frazzled over my last class." Ian said.
"Oh, cause Mr. Benson almost read your note out loud?" You asked with a teasing grin.
"How-?"
"We overheard someone talking about it before we saw you guys." You said.
"Oh, well, y-yeah. I really thought he was going to do it." Ian said.
"I'm surprised you were passing notes to begin with." You said as you stopped in front of your class, "What was it about?"
"I'll tell you later." Ian said, kissing the back of your hand, "Class is going to start soon."
"Alright," You grinned, kissing his cheek, "I'll see you after class."
~~~
Later after school, you and Ian wandered around a corner store looking for different snacks for your movies. After gathering up your goodies and a few drinks, the two of you walked to the bus stop, holding hands and talking about various things that had happened in class.
"So what movie did you pick?" Ian asked you.
"I couldn't really decide, but my aunt suggested P.S. I Love You." You said.
"I never heard of that one." Ian said, leading the way onto the bus after it pulled up.
"Neither have I," You said, walking through the crowded bus, "My aunt says it's really good though."
The time seemed to fly as you two talked about movies until you reached Ian's house.
"We're home." Ian called, but no one replied.
Well, one reply, in the form of a scampering dragon that nearly knocked you over as he climbed up your body.
"Blazey! Down!" You and Ian laughed as he grabbed the spray bottle.
Little clawed feet scampered up your arm, the little dragon wrapping around your shoulders as he let out a small flame. You giggled as he slid off of you, scurrying back to the kitchen.
"Sorry about that." Ian said with a laugh as he started looking around.
"I'm used to it by now." You laughed, following him, "Honestly I'd be a little concerned if he stopped doing that."
Ian nodded in agreement before he noticed the piece of paper on the counter. It was a note from Laurel letting you both know that she was called into work and Barley was out with your sister. She had also left you both money for pizza since she wouldn't be back until nine.
"I'll get the movie set up." You offered.
"Thanks! I'll order the pizza. Any kind in particular?" Ian asked.
"You know what I like." You said with a grin.
Before you knew it, you were cuddled up with Ian on the couch, leaning into his side with his arm around your shoulder. Ian hit play and you watched as the opening scene began to roll. You and Ian watched the young married couple argue and make up. Neither of you expected the movie to suddenly change to the young husband's funeral. Your aunt had told you the movie was a romance, but she neglected to tell you it was also a drama. At some point during the movie the pizza had arrived, that was the only time you both had paused the movie. By the end of the movie you both had teared up at different scenes. As the credits began to roll you turned to Ian, making him turn to you.
"I'm never taking my aunt's movie recommendations again!" You said.
Ian burst into laughter, hugging you tightly to him, "That was a tear jerker, wasn't it?"
"The letters!" You said, hugging him as you teared up, "Oh my god, the letters!"
"It was kinda sweet though, don't you think?" Ian said, rubbing your shoulder, "Ending each one with P.S. I love you."
"That's why it was so sad!" You said, laying your head on his shoulder.
"I think it's kinda of... bittersweet?" Ian said, kissing your forehead.
"Yeah." You agreed, turning to him with a smile before kissing his cheek.
Ian smiled, pressing his forehead to yours. He loved moments like this. Just relaxing with you, being able to hold you and cuddle with you. It was one of his favorite ways to relax. You always found a way to put him at ease, even without realizing it. That's why it was so easy for it to slip, without thinking of it, Ian said, "I love you."
You both froze. Ian's heart began to race as you stared at him, wondering if you heard him right. Ian felt like an eternity passed, his mind racing as he wondered if you heard him. A wide grin spread across your face as you hugged him tightly.
"I love you too!" You beamed.
Ian sighed in relief, returning the hug as he kissed your forehead, "Y-you don't think it's too soon to say that?"
"No!" You pulled away and smiled, "I actually wanted to say it sooner, but I didn't want to freak you out."
"Really?" Ian laughed, "I didn't want to freak you out either!"
You both laughed before you leaned into Ian again.
"I love you." Ian said again, a smile spreading across his face as he looked into your eyes.
"I love you too." You said, smiling before you leaned up, giving him a quick kiss.

————
A/N: omg I'm sorry it took so long to get this chapter out everyone! So life's been kinda crazy, aside from that I've been wanting to work on my own original story lately, but I didn't want to leave you all hanging for Ian's I Love You fic, but now that it's done I'm gonna go on a hiatus for a while. I'm not sure when I'll be back, but I will eventually come back with more chapters. For now I hope everyone stays safe out there and whatever you celebrate in the upcoming holidays, I hope you all have as good of a time as you can in this 2020 nonsense of a year lol.