14~ Reunited

"For the last time Del, you don't need to get me anything for my birthday" I groaned and leaned the back my head against the lockers.

"Aspen!" She whined. "For the last freaking time, you are my best friend, I love you, it is your seventeenth birthday, I am getting you a gift."

"I don't want anything. I just would like for you to come over on Saturday. You don't need a gift, but I don't think that's going to stop you"

We started our walk to first period. "Your family is invited and I'm also inviting the Haywood boys."

She groaned from beside me, causing me to laugh. "You're going to have to face him eventually. Just don't make my party awkward" I joked.

"I hate you" Del said jokingly.
***
"Daddy!" I squealed as I ran into his arms.

"Hey jolly rancher" he laughed as he spun my around. "Hey baby" he kissed my mom.

I playfully covered my hands with my eyes and walked over to Alex and Del. They both wanted to come greet my dad. Alex threw an arm over my shoulder, subconsciously pulling me closer to him.

Dad seemed to notice Del and the boy with an arm on my shoulder.

He walked over to us with his hand gripped around my mom's.

"Hey Mr. P glad to see you back here" Delilah greeted him, making him laugh in response.

"You too Delilah"

He started at Alex for a second without saying anything. I think Alex was a little bit intimidated.

"And who is this?"

"Alex Haywood, sir" he took him arm off of my shoulder and held it out for my dad to shake.

Dad shook his hand and started into his eyes. Alex had an easygoing smile plastered on his face like normal.

I looked worryingly between the two of them.

"Nice to meet you Alex, I assume you're the one dating my daughter?" He asked.

"Yes sir that's me."

"Well you're a very lucky guy"

"That I am sir" Alex smiled.

"Call me Alec" dad broke out into a smile, dropping the intense gaze he fixed of Alex.

Alex let out a breath of relief.

"Come on Oreo" dad picked me up and the me over his shoulder. I squealed and playfully punched his back.

Mom chastised him as he carried me to the car.

We all filed in and headed to the house.
***
I couldn't believe that I was going to turn seventeen. It's absolutely crazy.

Dad said he had a big present coming in and apparently everyone chipped in.

Alex stayed over with me for a couple hours before the party started around two.

"So Alex, what do you do extracurricular wise?" Dad asked as I snuggled into his side and held Alex's hand beside me.

"I don't play any sports but I do like to work out. I am on the debate team and mock trial. I want to be a lawyer when I get older." He answered calmly. I could tell he was nervous about my dad.

I squeezed his hand in reassurance. I hoped he would calm down. It was just my dad after all.

"That's good. At least you know what you want to do" dad said giving me a pointed look in the process.