19~ Apologies

It was the last day of school before winter break, which means semester exams. I couldn't wait for school to be over and next week go to Kansas to see my friends.

"Are you going to talk to Parker today?" Del asked as we walked to lunch.

I had planned on doing it after school.

"Yeah after school" I answered. All of a sudden, I fell very nervous and picked at my finger nails, a bad habit that I have yet to break.

"Don't be scared" she bumped my shoulder with hers, noticing my bad habit.

"I'll be fine" I assured her as we walked into the cafeteria. We sat in our normal spots with the boys, event though half of them were getting lunch.

"I hate exam days" Alex pouted as he sat down next to me.

I gave him a kiss on the cheek as a welcome.

"You're telling me I got detention" Parker sat down in his normal spot across from me.

"On the last day of school?" I couldn't help myself from answering in shock. We normally don't acknowledge each other at lunch, instead talking to everyone else.

"Stupid I know" He answered before looking down at his plate.

I was pulled into a different conversation. Looks like I'll have to wait for him to get out of detention.

***

I waited for Parker outside of detention, so we could talk. It didn't end for a little while, but I want this to be over with already. I sat on the ground so my feet wouldn't hurt

"Aspen?" I heard my name and turned my head to see Ashely standing above me. "What are you doing here?" She asked in a nicer tone than normal.

"I'm just waiting on Parker." I jabbed my thumb in the direction of detention.

"Aren't you two fighting or something?" She asked.

"I'm trying to fix that. Why are you here?" I switched the conversation to her.

"My car wouldn't start I'm waiting on my brother" She rolled her eyes and made a disgusted face. I assumed she doesn't like him that much.

I expected that to be the end of the brief conversation, but she surprised me when she took a seat on the floor next to me.

We sat in silence for a while, neither of us knowing what to say.

"I'm sorry" She blurted.

"for what?"

She had nothing to be sorry for, we don't talk enough for that to happen. Sure she's been rude but it wasn't anything terrible.

"For being a bitch. I know I was really rude to you when you first arrived. I wanted Ashton to myself and you are so beautiful I thought he'd choose you over me. Especially when you became partners. Turns out he chooses himself over everyone," she said with a sad smile before continuing. "He only wanted someone temporarily, every now and then to make out with and I was that girl for a long time. He was the only one that really knew about my problems at home and he didn't care, so I found someone who did. Ashton was pissed, but he apologized for being a dick. Now Ash is just my best friend."

"Who's this guy?" I teased her a little bit, happy to see her cheeks redden the slightest bit. It felt weird for me to tease and talk about boys with Ashley, out of all people. We hardly know each other.

"His name is James Hook, he's on the football team with Ashton and thank God he's on defense or Ahston would purposefully do something to hurt him." She laughed lightly and I followed suit.