11. She is not the only one

Jen's POV

"Yeah, neon color is great" I said, trying to force a smile.

Somehow Kate was really excited about her cast, she was telling the story of how she took the hardest decision in her life, which was to choose the color of her cast.

"Yeah, but this neon color specifically... it's like neon but like orange, it's great, isn't it?" Kate said to me, her smile wide as she faced me.

"How long do you have to keep it on?" Sofía asked, stealing glances at Kate from time to time.

"Two weeks" Kate proudly stated.

She says that her arm is not exactly broken, but that it was almost broken, so she has to keep the cast on for two weeks or so, just for precaution and to avoid getting a real fracture. The truth is that I really didn't get much about what the doctor said to her, Kate's excitement made really difficult to focus.

"So much for the lioness to be this fragile" Brianna teased, looking briefly at Kate from the rearview mirror.

"I...actually...wanted to wear a cast" Kate lied. "Lionesses are also known to make plans...like the one I did....to wear a cast...." She added, her lies obvious.

"You should have said you wanted to wear a cast; I would have helped" Brianna said smirking evilly. "You didn't even break your arm for real" Brianna said, somehow giving me the idea that she was offering to break Kate's bones?

"I- this is us starting a friendship? Because friends can joke like that with each other, strangers can't" Kate explained with a playful tone.

The doctors gave Kate pain killers, and for the way she keeps talking and talking, it was obvious that she wasn't in pain anymore, at the contrary, she and Brianna, against all odds, were the ones who weren't nervous about this ride home.

To me, and I guess to Sofía too, Brianna's car could become a crime scene at any second. Kate would only have to say a joke that Brianna finds unamusing...and it would be the end of Kate and me, because obviously Sofía is not dying.

"Who said I was joking?" Brianna replied in a very scary but calm voice.

I squirmed in my seat, and Sofía's eyes found mine, both of us were obviously tense about the situation, and Brianna and Kate's comments were making it worse.

And I guess neither of us expected them to kinda...get along...because that's what they are doing. And it's scary...and wrong.

"I-...I feel like I should be scared...but also a part of me is like 'If you befriend this lady, no one will ever do as much as say your name incorrectly because they will be afraid your bestie will turn them into stone'...so I guess I'll take my chances in dying trying to befriend you" Kate explained oddly, and Sofía got rigid once she mentioned the Medusa reference.

"I'd turn you into stone before you had the chance to befriend me" Brianna said sarcastically.

"Yeah whatever, bestie" Kate mocked while Brianna rolled her eyes, completely ignoring Kate's childish attempts of getting on her good side.

Me, on the other hand, couldn't ignore a single one of Kate's comments. I knew Kate was very talkative and tried to make a friend out of everyone, but I was used of her wanting me to be her friend and setting her undivided attention on me. Not on Brianna. Why Brianna anyways?

"I'm this close of throwing you out of my car" Brianna warned, and I don't know if it was me, but I didn't hear a single drop of amusement in her voice.