16. Just the gay panic

Kate's POV

A week after I talked with Monty...or Jennifer, I mean she told me what her name was and game her number...so I guess I should call her Jen now? Jen...yeah, Jen. The point is that it's been a week since she went looking for me and found me at the school backyard, gazing at nothing and unable to process my own thoughts.

I've got to admit that before that day, I believed that she only thought of me as little amusing, someone not completely awful to spend a part of your day with. And it was obvious that she is a nice and sweet person, because she's always been very patient with me, but I thought that it had to do with the fact that she felt like I needed her protection, and that she'd do it for anyone.

I didn't think that she would actually like me, that she would want to be a real friend for me. That act alone a week ago, made my mood change forever, I'd dare to say. Yes, I was still feeling kinda tired and confused after my talk with Nikki, Val and Sofía. But seeing Monty everyday always put my mind and heart at ease.

"Hey Kate, wait up!" I voice that I recognized as familiar said behind me, and I turned around so I could wait for her to get to me.

As soon as Jess got closer to me, she put one hand in my shoulder for support, and with her other hand she gripped her chest tightly, panting for air.

"My grandma did that too once!" I said sarcastically, placing my hand on Jess lower back to help her stabilize herself. "She died after" I added, waiting for Jess reaction.

Jess rolled her eyes at my comment and then snorted, and even though she kept panting for a few more seconds without saying anything, she shushed me with her finger, making me wait for whenever the air returned to her lungs, and she could talk.

"Okay yeah, I can breathe again" she said to herself, and then stood up straight. "Wanna go grab lunch with me? You know, before I die" she said enthusiastically.

I smiled at her, and I was about to say yes when images of a certain blonde clouded my mind. I haven't missed a single lunch date with Monty, not after that day that we both...connected.

And we've been closer ever since, she has told me a little about her past, she has even told me about her homophobic family, to whom I'd like to respectfully throw a few punches.

"Earth to Kate" Jess said smiling, and I quickly flashed her a smile too.

"Sorry, I was thinking that I forgot my notebook in Miss. Montgomery's classroom, and I was on my way to get it, but if you want I can see you after?" I asked her apologetically.

Jess smiled playfully and shook her head at me, faking disapproval. "If you keep rejecting me, I'll have no other choice...than to kidnap you" Jess said jokingly crossing her arms. "Or you'd have to ask me out on a fancy diner, and I'm not holding back on my eating expenses"

"Okay, but when have you?" I said in a ridiculous tone, Jess laughed at me and slapped my arm playfully.

"This is my punishment, who did I wronged to make G-d punish me like this?" Jess said sarcastically.

"Is liking me really so bad?" I asked playfully, but when I looked at Jess, the intensity in her eyes left me breathless.

"No...not really" she said softly. "Good look with Miss. Montgomery, find me later" she added, winking and then walking away from me and to the cafeteria.

As I resumed my journey to Monty's classroom, I was now thinking about Jess too. Monty said that Jess had an ugly past from which she rose up to, I haven't asked neither Monty or Jess about it, and I feel like Jess will tell me then the time is right.