14. You are real to me

Jen's POV

One day. Two days. Three days.

Kate has been skipping our lunch together for three days now, and she haven't even come to see me in the morning or after school anymore. She gets into my classes, but she barely looks at me, she does the assignments and then she is gone.

On the first day I thought that maybe she needed some time alone, and I could give her that. I thought that maybe after the talk she surely had with Sofía, she might need do rethink somethings; on the second day I thought that maybe she was sick, but then she came to my class, and she seemed perfectly fine...and on the third day...I completely lost my mind.

If it wasn't for a teacher's meeting that we had that day, I would have torn the school apart until I found her and talk to her. Would that have been too intense from my part?

I just kept thinking, what if something happened to her? I mean, I know she is fine because I saw her doing great in all my classes...but...she is wearing a cast after all, and she is still hated by all her classmates. Well, apparently not all, there's Jessica...who has an annoyingly obvious interest on Kate. Am I upset about it? No...I mean...maybe a little.

But would it be too weird if I look for Kate? What if is she is with Jessica? What would Kate think of me if I ask her to stay behind and ask her what's wrong?

5 minutes. 7 minutes. 10 minutes. 15 minutes.

Fifteen minutes passed and there was no sign of Kate, which meant that she wasn't coming today either. I felt an emptiness in my chest, I not only wanted to know what was wrong, it wasn't mere curiosity, I needed to see her.

I got out of my classroom and started wondering around the school halls, I received polite smiles and greetings form my students, I smiled them back, but I never stopped to chat with them, I had to find Kate.

I searched in all the school grounds and there was no sign of Kate, but I just saw her a while ago, so she must be here. As my last resource, I walked towards the parking lot, hoping that maybe she was taking fresh air or that she went for a walk.

And to my luck, just as I was about to admit defeat, I saw a redhead on the distance, wearing a neon cast on her arm, throwing rocks at the grass itself with her good arm.

I rapidly but quietly walked towards her, trying to not appear so eager to see her, but I knew very well that in reality I was dying to hear her voice and to gaze into those eyes I've missed so much.

"Kate" I said softly, and she turned around, it wasn't until then that I saw the heavy eyebags under her eyes.

"Hey Monty" she replied quickly, directing me a tired smile.

"Do you mind if I sit?" I asked, signaling the space next to her, and she shook her head no, giving me permission to sit next to her on the grass.

I sat down with difficulty, trying to put myself in a comfortable position but it was very difficult thanks to the dress I was wearing, and the heels weren't helping either.

"You okay?" Kate asked chuckling and I smiled at the sound.

"Now I am" I said, not really knowing if it was talking about the fact that I was finally able to sit, or if it was about finally being around Kate again. 

Kate smiled at me, not putting too much thought into what I said either. We watched the construction in front of us without saying a word, a comfortable silence settling in between us.

"I missed you at lunch today...and yesterday...and the other days too" I said breaking the silence after a few minutes of secretly stealing glances at her.