5 | It was an accident

"Yes, Sir

"Yes, Sir. My sister was the girl in the car accident and I was on the bus. As you can tell by my cheer uniform."

~~~

When we get to the Sunnyvale stadium we all stand in the field for the candlelight vigil

When we get to the Sunnyvale stadium we all stand in the field for the candlelight vigil. We girls stood together and we had no idea where Simon ran off to. The mayor of Sunnyvale was first to speak about what happened last night at the mall. "This isn't how I wanted to be here tonight. I wanted to be here as a fan. Our Sunnyvale Devils and your Shadyside Witches throwing die some good old American football. Instead, I find myself here as a husband, a father, as a neighbor. And, yes, the mayor of Sunnyvale. And one behalf of all the people in my town, I say all of Sunnyvale mourn with you." He tells us. "Yeah, really looks like they give a damn." I look over at them and spot Sam quickly. "The only Sunnyvalers who came were the ones who had to. The football team and the cheerleaders." Kate adds looking over at them too. I see some guy all up on Sam and she just lets him do it back. "Our hearts are broken with grief." I look back over at the mayor. "Who the fuck believes that?" I ask and Kate agrees with me as Denna leaves us.

"Have you seen Simon yet?" I look around. "No, I haven't seen your beloved boyfriend." She nudges me. "Knock it off." I do it back smiling as we all get our candles lit. "My family's been in Sunnyvale for generations, and now my brother is mayor, and I, your sheriff. We've prospered here. And yet, I've seen you, our neighbors in Shadyside, suffer tragedy after tragedy. It's easy in times like this to drown in questions of why... Why this happened. But I know too well there are no answers that will provide relief. There's no peace found in the past." Sheriff Goode says but I knew they still didn't give a damn about us. "We must not fall into darkness. We must look to the light.'' He keeps talking. "Yeah! What we should do is light a fuse and burn down Shittyside." I hear a guy from the other team scoff. I look over and see it was the dick touching all over Sam. "I said it ain't a tragedy when it happens every week. It's a joke." He gets louder walking towards one of our players.

" He gets louder walking towards one of our players