run away - newsies

(a/n: hey y'all! i just started school last week and it was a good start! also, i'm may or may not be starting a newsies obsession phase...)
✰✰✰
jack x katherine
(takes place after the finale)
✰✰✰
jack and katherine have been in deep love for years now, though katherine did hate jack at first when they met at medda's theatre.

one night, after a long day of selling papes, jack invited katherine out to dinner with him and the other newsies.

after they had dinner at a nice fancy restaurant, they all went out to a bar to have some drinks. jack and katherine sat at a table for two together while the rest of the newsies were dancing to the music that was being played on the piano.

"hey, i hope you didn't forget about this, but..." jack pulls out a rose from his vest as katherine smiles. "it's been 5 years since we've been dating."

"awww, jack!" katherine says emotionally, taking the rose. "this is so sweet! i hope you know how much you make me smile all the time!"

jack takes her hand and kisses it. "i love you, baby."

they all been at the bar for almost an hour, when davey came over to jack and katherine's table. "hey guys," davey says. "you should join us on the dance floor! we're having some fun!"

"oh yeah, definitely!" katherine says, sincerely. "come on jack!" both davey and katherine looked at jack, who's head was resting in his arms on the table. "hey, jack?" katherine lifts jack's head up by the chin, seeing the tired look on his face. "are you okay?"

jack collapses out of his chair and throws up on the floor, everyone staring at him.

"oh my god!" katherine and davey both yelled at the same time as the other newsies come to see jack. they all help him up without accidentally stepping on the vomit.

davey and crutchie put jack's arms around their shoulders and carry him out of the bar.

"sorry! we were just leaving!" race yells to everyone behind him before he turns around to walk out with the others.

once katherine, davey, and crutchie got jack back to his dorm room, they placed him down in his bed.

davey knelt down by jack's feet to untie and take off his shoes while katherine unbuttoned his vest. "here, let me get the hat." crutchie says.

"oh yes please, take off my hat!" jack says, drowsily, as crutchie takes his hat and puts it on the side table.

after jack's vest, shoes, and hat were off, katherine pulled the blanket over jack as he looks up on all three of them with his almost closed eyes, they're worried looks on their faces.

davey and crutchie climbed into their bunk beds and katherine knelt down beside jack. "hey, i had fun tonight." katherine whispered.

"yeah," jack said, smiling with his eyes closing. "we should make plans to do something like this again."

katherine smiled and kissed jack on the lips before heading out the dorm room.

jack has lately been writing poems and songs for his girlfriend whenever they go out, and katherine was wondering when he's ever going to propose.

until one night, a year after they graduated college, while jack and katherine were walking in a garden together, jack went down on one knee and pulled a small box out of his pocket. katherine gasped as she saw the silver sparkly ring inside.

"will you marry me?" jack asked her. katherine nodded, with tears running down her cheeks. jack got up and kissed her, before putting the ring on her finger.

the two suddenly heard a bunch of cheering behind them. they turn around to see the newsies.

"what? i didn't know you guys were gonna be
he-" jack was cut off as finch ran into him with a hug. "oh. okay."

les, who is 17 years old and is taller now, ran over and to jack who lifted him up, not even carrying about how heavy he is.

later that night, before katherine and jack went to bed, jack kneeled on both knees in front of katherine, their hand held together, as he said, "i may not be wise, and i won't save the day. but look in my eyes, and know i'll always stay. and i won't run away."

some years went by, they had a child together after their marriage, naming him michael. as they watch him grow up, their love for him ran deep.

sometimes at night, his dreams would drive him wild, so into bed katherine piled to help him fall asleep.

one night he wasn't able to sleep, so she kneeled on both knees and said, "i may not be wise, and i won't save the day. but look in my eyes, and know i'll always stay. and i won't run away."

michael is officially about leave for college. jack and katherine were asking if it's safe on his own than grow to need them.

he replied by telling them what they showed him, because he knew they're not going anywhere. he loves them more and more each day, to love is not to leave.

(yes this is based off of ben platt's amazing song :))