what if its us? - newsies

(a/n: OH MY GOD I AM SOOOOO SORRY I HAVE BEEN SUPER INACTIVE! i was super busy with school lately and i wanted to get everything done first. also, yes i think i'm starting a newsies obsession lol. anyways, this one shot is based off of a real life experience of mine and i wanted to share it BUT in a one shot! also yes i am organizing my one shots differently so y'all can put more comments on certain things. enjoy! ~k)

TW: none, but if i should put one lmk!

✰✰✰
race x spot
AU where newsies takes place modern day.
✰✰✰

race's pov
thursday, september 2nd
ahhh yes! today is my 15th birthday! today at school was already super fun, getting lots of hugs and gifts from amazing people.

tonight, i'm going to north shore high because my friend, cady heron, invited me to see the improv show since the date for it turned out to be my birthday.

when i arrive at the school, i get out of the car and throw away my finished starbucks cup. i'm pretty early since it's only 6:35 and the show doesn't start until 7:00. no one else is here, except for a guy who looks like he's around my age, sitting on the stairs in front of the school.

"hey," i told the guy. "are you here for the improv show?" i asked him.

"yeah, i'm not in it though, i'm just waiting for my friends." he says "also, i don't know if you go here or not, but if you don't, you know where the theatre is, right?"

"no, i don't go here, i go to westerburg. but i do know where the theatre is since i've visited this place multiple times. are you a sophomore here?"

"yeah."

i nod my head. "me too. i'm race by the way."

"i'm spot."

"nice to meet you. also, today is my birthday!" i say enthusiastically.

"oh, happy birthday!" he says.

"i invited my whole friend group to come see the show with me, but apparently they're all busy with other stuff to do. but i do have some nice friends who go to this amazing school."

"cool!" spot says. "i don't really know anyone at westerburg, so i guess you're my only friend there."

oh my gosh, yay we're friends now! i thought to myself.

✰✰✰

"it was nice seeing you tonight!" i say to cady after the show, giving her a hug.

"you too! happy birthday!"

her boyfriend aaron also gave me a hug. "we should definitely hang out sometime!" he said.

"of course!"

and then i see spot again at the other side of the theatre with a few other guys. i walk over to him and tap on his shoulder. "it was nice meeting you tonight." i say.

"oh yeah, definitely! hey guys this is race!" spot introduces me to his friends, two of them are in the improv team.

those guys and i walk out of the theatre together and wait for our rides.

✰✰✰

friday, september 3rd
i am scrolling through instagram while having my birthday dinner with my friends. i see a post from the north shore theatre club page, and it's an announcement that spot conlon is the the club's librarian.

i go to the page and search up spot's name in the followers. i then find his account and send a follow request since his account is private.

after my request is accepted, i get a follow back from him. so i go and message him. "hey! i'm the guy you met last night!" i text.