tabi x reader || "bistro for the birthday boy"

summary: you take tabi out to a new restaurant for his birthday. you both insist on paying but he's a stubborn gentleman.

warnings: none (besides not so great writing)

»»————- ♡ ————-««

You walked hand-in-hand with Tabi, lightly swaying your arms with a cheeky smile. The cold and bitter wind blew against you, making you shiver and lean into your boyfriend. He glanced down at you, feeling himself flush at the sight of you clinging to his arm.

"Just a bit more and we'll be there! I can't wait for you to try out the restaurant." You exclaimed. "It's a small business, so it isn't that popular, but it still has good food!"

"That's good to hear." Tabi replied, suddenly stopping by a small building. "Is this it?" He asks, peeking through the double glass doors. You detach yourself from his arm, looking up to the name of the place. A large smile forms on your face as you nod vigorously. You hook your arm around Tabi's and drag him inside with you.

"Be careful," He mumbles as you lead him to a table. He glances around, a bit confused that someone didn't have to seat you. He takes a seat across from you on the plushy diner booth chairs.

"Now we wait a bit," You pause, looking to the kitchen area. "Someone will be with us soon. I know it's not what you're used to, but I still hope you enjoy it!" Your fingertip traces the wooden linings of the table, chin resting on your palm.

"Of course I'll enjoy it. I'm with you," He replied in a whisper so only you could hear. "It seems like a good place anyways."

"So cheesy," You laugh, lightly flicking his hand. He retracts it, but before he could say anything, the waitress arrives with a notebook and pen in hand.

"May I take your order?"

───── ❝ 𝐭𝐢𝐦𝐞 𝐬𝐤𝐢𝐩 ❞ ─────

You set down your utensils on your plate, stacking the dirty dishes so it'd be easier for the server. You look across the table to see Tabi gazing out the window, absentmindedly tapping his fingers on the table in a rhythmic manner.

"Did you enjoy it, Tabi?" You asked him. He turned his head at the sound of your voice and nodded. "It was nice." He simply answered, leaning back in his chair. He stuffed his hands into the pockets of his hoodie, emitting a content sigh as he looked at your eyes. He could feel himself smiling at the sight of you. You stuck with him through so much, he could only be grateful. Your smile made him feel warm inside, your eyes filled him with hope, and your hugs made him feel security. There was so much to you that he loved.

His thoughts were interrupted as the server arrived at the table. "Here's your check! Call me when you're ready to pay." She says with a smile, laying down a small, black leathered book. "Thank you." You say, picking it up off the table. She grabbed ahold of the dirty plates and utensils, placing them on her metal tray and walking off.

"Alright baby, give me a moment." You reach into your bag, pulling out a small wallet with a smile. You open it up, pulling out a large bill. Your eyes scan over the total to double-check that it was enough. Before you could place it on the book, Tabi softly held your wrist and shook his head.

"I'll pay." He spoke up, his other hand reaching out for the check. You frown, pulling it back to you.

"No Tabi- I'm treating you. You're the birthday boy."

"Yeah, since I'm the birthday boy, I should pay because I want to." He retorted as he grabbed a wallet from his jeans pocket. He pulled out the exact amount, attempting to place it on the check. You pulled it back, leaning back with it so Tabi couldn't reach you.

"Please just let me treat you." You whine, watching as he grabs your money off the table. He reaches for your wallet and stuffs it back inside, closing it and sliding it across the table to you.

"No."

»»———————————««