Agatsuma Zenitsu

Pink and yellow flowers swished gently in the summer breeze as birds chirped and crickets cricketed. The blue skies and puffy white clouds stood behind the tall jaded trees, providing a small shield from the scorching sun.

Zenitsu laid in the tall grass, head resting behind his arms as he listened to a far-off tune being sang by a girl he's come to listen to almost every other day. Her voice and the sound of her gentle heartbeat were the only things that brought him peace after returning from his missions, mind and heart torn by the tragedies that are strewn across the country by rampaging demons.

Although he considered himself a coward, he believed that he could overcome any mission as long as her tune is what greets him upon his every return.

Her voice was smooth, like silk, her melodies joyful, like summer, and her heartbeat as mighty as the the mountains that surrounded them. Hypnotised by her singing, any sort of nervosity evaporated from his body, fleeing into the sky above as his feet carried his body closer and closer each day. It was courage that he lacked - she was the only girl who'd made him feel so at peace, even if he'd never seen her face.

He didn't have to, it did not matter whether she was pretty or not, he was in love with her spirit. Of course it would be a bonus, in true Agatsuma style, but it wouldn't ever be a weakness. Whoever she was, she was kind and strong, patient but firm. He'd never heard such a calming heartbeat and voice. 

But until he gathers the courage to even see her, he will remain in the luminescent fields, surrounding himself with the harmonious sounds of insects and birds alike, bodies of water and strokes of wind. 

The wind caressed his hair as his eyes came to a close, feeling enough peace to allow his body to welcome the feeling of tiredness that overcame him the longer he stayed, gently swaying him away into a deep sleep.

"That's it. I will find her, and I will confess to her," Zenitsu said loudly to his companions - Tanjiro and Inosuke- whilst smacking his fist against his palm, "I will woo her, seduce if I must, but I will not let her go. She's the only woman who's made me feel this way." He stated proudly, chest puffing up as his thoughts began to race, his cheeks burning a bright shade of pink. 

"Are you sure that's a good idea? You've never even met her." Tanjiro said softly, eyes worriedly glancing over at his friend as an unsure frown graced his features. He knew how easily Zenitsu fell in love, and how easily it was to break his fragile heart.
Inosuke only huffed with a shake of his head, legs moving faster as though to mute out the conversation between the two men. He wasn't interested if it wasn't about combat.

Zenitsu looked ahead for a short moment, before turning his attention back to Tanjiro, who's worried eyes were stuck on his own. His gaze was soft but deep, and Zenitsu feared that it would only dissolve his resolve. "I know Tanjiro, but I have to. I know you're worried, and you want what's best for me," He paused with a sigh, his thoughts jumbled for a moment too long, before regaining order with a shake of his head, "My heart longs for her, it beats faster at the sound of her own. I've never felt this way, although I believed I've been in love before - this is different." He spoke firmly, his walking coming to a full stop at some point during his short speech, Tanjiro complying to stop. His hand rose to Zenitsu's shoulder, giving it a reassuring squeeze as a small smile grew on Tanjiro's face, "I believe you, and I will support whatever decision you make, just don't rush." He said softly, removing his hand from his friend's shoulder before continuing to walk, with no other words exchanged between the trio for the rest of their journey.

A couple of weeks had passed since that conversation, and Zenitsu's heart pounded violently against his ribcage as he and his friends approached the Butterfly estate. A gentle breeze swished past him, lifting his spirits somewhat in the summer evening. The sun was still somewhat high up, but the sky was darkening by the minute, growing orange and pinkish hues which stretched far and wide over sparce clouds.

Birds chirped and hopped around their nests, all communicating together - the sound being pleasing to his ears. A stream of water nearby ran through a field, one which he'd be climbing later to reach the beautiful voice he'd been missing so much. His head spun and blood rushed to his cheeks at the thought, his breath hitched with excitement. 

His legs had a mind of their own, and soon he separated from his friends whilst heading in the direction of the voice he grew to love. She wasn't singing at this particular time, but he was sure she'd be there, sitting in the grass, maybe braiding flowers together, or maybe enjoying the breeze and the warmth of the sun. He didn't know yet, but he would soon. 

His heart continued to beat rapidly, his mind beginning to think of all the possibilities; would she be freaked out? Confused? Maybe flattered? A stranger admiring your voice for months, without ever actually matching face to voice..."Bit strange." Zenitsu muttered to himself, staring daggers at the grass below him, but he trudged on, stomps of determination flattening the ground, arms swinging in effort, and before he knew it, he was standing at the door of a small wooden hut, steam coming out of the top through a chimney, and songs... No. Her voice. It was so beautiful he stood and gawked, hand mid-air, about the knock. 

And then the door opened.

/unedited, it's been a while since I've published anything. Whoever reads, I hope you enjoy <3