Chapter Twenty-One: Change

ELENA

I looked at my friend. Her eyes were wide in shock as she looked back and forth between Xander and I. A look of hurt all over her face. This couldn't be happening. Not right now. She couldn't find out like this.

"Samantha," I started, standing up.

Xander put a hand on my shoulder, squeezing it. I looked at him, only for him to look at me and shake his head. I got the message and sat back down.

He turned his attention back to Samantha. "Were you followed?" He questioned sternly.

Samantha's eyes left mine and onto Xander's. "Followed? No.. I followed you here."

Xander closed his eyes and sighed. "Come in and close the door." He told her.

Samantha huffed and trudged in. I could hear her muttering that there better be a good explanation for what she just heard. She slammed the door shut but as she turned around she suddenly took in a sharp breath as Xander swiftly raised his sword up, pointing it only centimetres from her face.

"Xa- Xander.. what are you- what are you doing?" She stuttered.

"Samantha. Whatever you hear in this room stays in this room. Do you understand?" He asked.

"What do you-"

"Do you understand?!" He boomed.

As I observed Xander from where I was sitting, he was visibly stressed. I could see it on his face and from the tone in his voice.

"Yes. I do." Samantha replied, her voice trembling. She kept her chin up, avoiding the sharp blade that hovered at her throat.

"You must swear by the Queen." He told her.

Samantha's eyes shifted to mine, then back at Xander. "I swear," she breathed. "In the name of Queen Amelia Lorian of Askaria."

Xander didn't move. "I understand that you are a friend but, if I heard word that you," He then looked to Jonathan and Andrew. "Any of you reveal even the slightest of what you hear here today, I will not hesitate to have you executed." He continued to look at all three of them as he continued to speak.

"You must not, under any circumstance, talk about this day, from tonight, tomorrow or any other day in the future. You have sworn by the Queen. You are all under oath. Any actions against this is treason. Do we understand?"

Silence filled the room.

"Yes sir." They uttered in unison after a few seconds. The poor things were scared out of their minds. It was understandable, if I didn't know Xander well enough I would be too.

Xander finally lowered his sword and placed it back in its sheath. Samantha lowered her head and looked at the ground. She played with her hands, seemingly refusing to look up.

Xander walked over to me, stood beside me and turned to look at the three. He then turned his full attention to Samantha.

"Samantha,"

She looked up from the ground to him.

Xander gestured to me. "This, is Her Majesty, Amelia Genevieve Lorian. Princess of Askaria."

Samantha looked at me briefly and bowed, then quickly averted her eyes elsewhere.

Xander continued, directing his words to the three of them. "She is otherwise, and will continue to be known to you, as Elena. As soon as you leave this house after tonight you must not call her by her title. Not Your Majesty, Your Highness or even Princess. Even if you see her on the street, even if she delivers flour to this bakery or to the other bakeries, even if you need to grab her attention, you must call her Elena."