Chapter Thirty: Rush

ELENA

Lord May's words echoed in my head. It wouldn't stop. It would just go around and around and around again making me dizzy.

I felt a cold hand on my arm, snapping me out of my thoughts, my head whipping to the side to see a concerned Samantha.

"Are you alright Princess?" She asked me softly.

In the dark of the dawn I couldn't clearly see her face, but I could hear her voice laced with concern.

The last few weeks since that encounter with Lord May, Samantha could tell that something was wrong. She assumed I needed to get away and have time to think in a peaceful setting, so she suggested we go to the hills and watch the sun rise.

"You've been so quiet lately. It's so unlike you it's alarming. Do you need the doctor?" She asked, worried.

I debated whether or not to reveal the truth, what the problem was. What Lord May had told me. It had been weeks since that encounter but I couldn't help but constantly think back to it.

I could hear William's heavy breathing beside me, mimicking my own. His sword point only millimetres from Lord May's throat, the grip so tight in his hand his fingers were turning white.

"That's treason." William uttered in a low voice.

Lord May laughed. "You think I don't know that?" He asked sarcastically. He didn't seem the slightest bit afraid.

"It isn't treason if it's legal." He continued.

"Legal?" I whispered.

"Yes Your Highness." He replied, hearing me. "Quite. So please tell this boy to stand down so I may explain myself further." He spat out the word 'boy', pointing at William, intent on insulting him.

I saw William's jaw clench.

After thinking, I sighed. I turned slightly to William.

"It's okay." I told him.

"Princess just say the word and I will slay this man where he stands." He growled, not backing down. "There is nothing legal about treason."

Lord May sighed loudly, annoyed.

I was confused. Honestly I didn't know what to do.

"Your Highness," Lord May started, looking at me. "Respectfully, when you become Queen, you will be met with situations like this where you must converse with suspicious people and discuss matters such as.." He looked around as if trying to find the right word. "Treason, and the like. Do not allow a simple Guard to tell you what to do. This is part of your duty."

As much as I hated it, he was right. I would eventually have to discuss serious matters such as this. People's lives would be in my hands.

"Landon," I said softly turning to him.

He faltered slightly realising what I was about to do. "Elena," his voice pleading.

I placed a hand on his arm. "It's okay." I almost whispered. I hated how small my voice was.

Doubt started to creep in, followed by worry.

He looked at me, his eyes searching mine. Finally he sighed, obviously defeated, and lowered his sword. But a frown soon appeared on his face as he slowly turned his head back to Lord May.