Chapter Seven: Name

CASSIAN

Just as arranged, my belongings as well as Her Majesty's arrived safely at our new quarters in Celia. Timothy had also made sure to give us a modest amount of money to help get us started.

After unpacking my belongings, the sun had begun to set. I walked over to the front window of the house and looked at the house in front of me. These two houses were identical, inside and out.

Earlier, I couldn't quite understand the Princess' thoughts and feelings on the new house. I hand picked it from all the houses that were shown to me to choose from. I felt that it would give her some space but an adequate feel to life out of the castle.

Knowing I was done with unpacking, I took a couple loaves of bread, wrapping them in cloth, opened the door and walked over to the Princess' house, knocking on the door.

"Who is it?" I heard.

"It's Cassian, Your-" I started calling out but stopped myself in time. I looked around me cautiously but it didn't seem like anyone caught on. The hustle and bustle of the street was dying down as people started returning home from their day's work. I reminded myself that no one under any circumstance was to know who lived in this house. I knew that if that information ever came out, her life would be in grave danger. "Its Cassian." I called out again.

I heard footsteps and then rattling of iron as she unlocked the door just as I had shown her.
The door opened wide as I was invited inside. The inside of her house was warm as she had a fire going in the fireplace. How she did it without help intrigued me.

"Have a seat," she offered gesturing to the chair at the table.

I thanked her and took her offer.

"Your Majesty, may we go over a few things?" I asked her, gesturing to the chair in front of me.

She sat down across from me, her shoulders back and her hands clasped and rested on her lap. She breathed out what seemed to be a shaky breath. My eyes met her and she gave me a nod.

I took out a small pouch from my pocket and placed it on the table right in front of her.

"Timothy has given us some money to help us get started." I told her. "You may use it to buy food items. Fortunately Timothy included an extra bag of bread for us to have on our first day."

She picked up the pouch and held it in her hands.

"Is this all?" She asked, seemingly confused.

With the amount that it weighed it really didn't seem like much. After all, she was a royal, their amount of money couldn't be placed in any sized pouch.

"For now Your Majesty. We must eventually find work so as to earn more. We must start looking tomorrow."

"What kind of work do the people do here?" She asked softly.

"Different things. Some are bakers, some are millers, blacksmiths, stonemasons, armorers, farmers, shop owners." I listed.

"And I must become one of them." She finished.

"Correct Your Majesty."

She nodded once, silent as she played with the pouch in her hands. I studied her face; we were only three years apart, me being the elder, but for someone so young and with a high position I couldn't imagine what she was going through, what thoughts crossed her mind. At times she would be very expressive, other times I couldn't read her. What I said next though really caught her off guard.

"We must also change our names." I told her.

She froze. A frown developed on her face as she blinked at me. "I beg your pardon?" She asked.

"Your Majesty, you and I must blend in. We must change our names in order for us to be able to do so more easily. I can no longer call you by your title, as disrespectful as that may sound but it is a protection." I explained.

"But you've called me Your Majesty outside before." She claimed.

"That was when it was only the two of us. From tomorrow when we both find try to find work we may have to be separated, and if I must call out to you, I cannot simply reveal to everyone here that you are a Royal by calling you by your title."

"Then what I am to call you?" She asked. "Alec?"

I stiffened at the name. "I'm sorry but no, I have reservations about that particular name."

"But your father calls you Al-"

"Anything but." I interrupted. "You may choose to call me anything but that name." I couldn't help but notice the firm harshness in my tone.

The princess seemed taken aback. "Okay, I apologise." She started, looking down and rubbing her hands on her legs. I glanced at her, and the look on her face prompted me to want to apologise. But that name held a lot of meaning and I wasn't going to let anyone use it freely. Not even a princess.

"What about Xander?" She suggested after a few seconds of awkward silence from the both us.

I thought about the name, going over and over it in my head before agreeing. "Xander it is."

"And what about me?" She asked.

I paused and thought. "Emily?" I suggested.

She shook her head. "It's too similar."

The two of us stayed silent, lost in our thoughts. After a few minutes of suggesting names, she finally decided on one.

"Elena." She said with a small smile. "It's my mother's middle name."

I agreed with it since I had no objections with her choice. I looked out the window and noticed the light diminishing as darkness grew outside. I stood up and placed the cloth with the loaves of bread on the table before walking over to the fireplace on the left wall beside the window and taking a candle and its holder from a shelf beside it, and lighting the candle.

I turned back to the Princess placing the candle on the table. "I bid you goodnight Elena." I said with a bow, before placing my hand on the cloth and sliding it towards her. "Here are a couple loaves of bread for you. When we earn some money we can purchase more food to eat. But for now this is it."

I walked over to the door and opened it. "I already surveyed the area, you surroundings are clear and safe. If you need me, I'm there." I told her gesturing to my house across. "You must rest now. I will see you in the morning."

~~~

Chapter Seven!

I'm starting to feel a little writers block! NOoo :(

I guess this was a little filler chapter to get on to their first day in their new life. But I really wanted to bring the point out that they had to change their names for the sake of protection.

Action is coming soon my dear reader, very soon.

Thanks for reading and I'd really appreciate some feedback or suggestions to help me get over that little writer's block, like medicine for a cold.

Hope you're safe, keep safe either way.

Hope you're having a good day!

GM.